Can PhD programs admit a student in their MA or BA program?

Just Jeff

I go to Cornell for my MA, but I would truly love to attend their PhD program. Most of my fellow colleagues say that this is a "stupid move" and I'm just "wasting my time and money."

Why would they say this? :(

I have no idea - I almost went to Cornell for my MA also, and when I visited I spoke to 3 2nd years in the program, 2 of whom were very much hoping to continue on in a PhD at Cornell. I don't know what your field is but Cornell is a good school, and if they match your research interests, go for it!

Perhaps your colleagues are unhappy with their experience at Cornell?  Honestly who cares what they think.  You should be talking to your adviser and/or professors you're interested in doing research with to get their thoughts on you staying for a PhD. 

I go to Cornell for my MA, but I would truly love to attend their PhD program. Most of my fellow colleagues say that this is a "stupid move" and I'm just "wasting my time and money."

Why would they say this? :(

Because insular experience at the formative stages of a professional career often leads to poor outcomes. Diversity of thought is seen as an asset by most.

Edited by Loric

Most people I talked to would consider diversity to be "different schools for undergrad and PhD". In the US, many people don't do a separate MA first since most US schools admit BA graduates to their PhD programs, so if you end up doing 3 degrees, I don't think it's necessary to do 3 schools. 

Most people I talked to would consider diversity to be "different schools for undergrad and PhD". In the US, many people don't do a separate MA first since most US schools admit BA graduates to their PhD programs, so if you end up doing 3 degrees, I don't think it's necessary to do 3 schools. 

I know. I would love to stay at Cornell. I actually went to Manhattan College for my Undergrad. I'm getting my MA at Cornell now, and I'm applying to the PhD program. I just wonder how difficult it would be for me to get in.

I know. I would love to stay at Cornell. I actually went to Manhattan College for my Undergrad. I'm getting my MA at Cornell now, and I'm applying to the PhD program. I just wonder how difficult it would be for me to get in.

Sorry for going off-topic, I was responding to the others here that said things that seemed to imply you should go elsewhere for your PhD! I don't know the answer to your actual question, sorry :(

Sorry for going off-topic, I was responding to the others here that said things that seemed to imply you should go elsewhere for your PhD! I don't know the answer to your actual question, sorry :(

Oh no! Please don't worry, you've been super helpful. I totally agree, I don't think I need to do three different schools, right?

It depends on the school and the department.  A lot of programs in my discipline (political science) don't have a terminal MA for academic programs.  Some do, though.  These are divided into schools that accept their MA's outright, those that may, and schools that flat out don't.  My school treats all PhD and MA students the same and will gladly admit them.  There are a number of other schools that do this.  Of the schools that may, it's often because they have very different expectations for their Master's students.  In this case, the students may not get the same rigorous methods training, take the same number of "upper-level" courses, etc.  For those that don't they either don't want "academic incest" or they don't think of their MA students highly at all.  My ex-BF was at one of those schools on the east coast.  It's disheartening, sure, but they will help place you elsewhere hopefully in that case.

As for doing the same program from BA through PhD, I don't think it is a good idea and neither does my undergrad but my current institution will let students do it.  I don't get it but they do.