Manuscript for MFA in creative writing?

B-612

My dream is to make it into the Iowa Writer's Workshop, but I'm applying to other programs as well. My main interest is writing at the intersection of sexuality and religion as a sort of counter-theology to some more vitriolic theologies put out by more conservative religious institutions.

My stuff tends to fall into various genres--magical realism, fantasy, Southern Gothic, etc. I'm wondering if submitting material from one area would give me an edge vs others. Do places like the Writers Workshop opt for more cerebral writing over more commercial action/adventure stuff?

I think it depends on what you consider cerebral versus commercial. Long story short: It just needs to be good.

Submit what you think is your best work and best represents you. If you wrote out some brilliant slam poetry while flinging cookies at nuns as part of a performance art piece you did while high, and never intend to do anything of the sort again, don't submit that. Two tight paragraphs about kittens that your grandma would love and you plan a sequel for in order to appease the other grandma? Submit that.

Show them where it's all going and what to expect. Last thing anyone wants is to expect the kitten writer and then get hit in the head with a cookie while being forced to wear a nun costume. You wont be happy, they wont be happy, and it wont end well.

I'm honestly not even sure what "writing at the intersection of sexuality and religion as a sort of counter-theology to some more vitriolic theologies put out by more conservative religious institutions" means, but if you have work that showcase that - that's what you need to submit. Showcase that, the work leading up to that, influcencing that - something that puts that in context.

Haha, I just meant there's lot of scholars from within the church writing things like "blergh, gays! bad!" but never focuses on the humanity. A lot of my writing deals with the struggle of LGBT people in oppressive religious environments and my goal is to pull out of their stories a Christian theology that is affirming of their humanity and sexuality. 

• 2 weeks later...

When I applied for my Dramatic Writing MFA I just used my favorite piece that I'd written to date. It got me in, but I didn't touch anything like it again until the very end of my program. So I think just choose the piece that you love the most and that your classmates and professors tell you is the best.