divinity schools with philosophy

pzp11

Hi, I'm a philosophy MA student looking for divinity programs with faculty doing work heavily in philosophy, particularly phenomenology.

So far I've looked at Chicago's divinity school, and other philosophy departments (mostly catholic / jesuit).

Any recommendations of programs and specific faculty members will be helpful.

Also, what do you think are the chances of a philosophy major getting into a divinity phd program?

Thank you.

I'll leave your first question for those more qualified, but a comment regarding your second:

My understanding is that PhD programs within a divinity school require a masters degree in divinity/theology. This has to due with the accrediation standards at div schools. (Others, am I right on this?) This doesn't seem to be the case with religious studies departments, but as someone getting my MA in theology and looking to do PhD work in philosophy, I've been told that a theology masters is really a moot point for philosophy programs, except to the extent my focus was mainly and recognizably philosophical. I imagine it would be the same going the other way. Your best bet might be finding a philosophy program with a strong philosophy of religion faculty, and one that lets you take courses from its RS dept or affiliated div school. I think the Catholic/Jesuit programs you mention fit that mold. Not sure what other ones are out there.

I'll leave your first question for those more qualified, but a comment regarding your second:

My understanding is that PhD programs within a divinity school require a masters degree in divinity/theology. This has to due with the accrediation standards at div schools. (Others, am I right on this?) This doesn't seem to be the case with religious studies departments, but as someone getting my MA in theology and looking to do PhD work in philosophy, I've been told that a theology masters is really a moot point for philosophy programs, except to the extent my focus was mainly and recognizably philosophical. I imagine it would be the same going the other way. Your best bet might be finding a philosophy program with a strong philosophy of religion faculty, and one that lets you take courses from its RS dept or affiliated div school. I think the Catholic/Jesuit programs you mention fit that mold. Not sure what other ones are out there.

I see. Thank you. If you are looking for philosophy departments, can you share which ones are you looking at?

By the way I think this restriction between philosophy and theology is although somewhat understandable, ridiculous. I think they should at least look at the writing sample or the cv before just categorically deciding one's capacity in doing a certain work. :/

Speak with each department to get specifics. I imagine it varies from place to place. I have seen a lot of 'religious studies' departments that mostly take students with MTS/MA (theology) degrees, while others don't seem to like them (e.g. they usually don't require language exams, etc.). 

For what it's worth, when I was at BC there was a lot of cross listing between philosophy and theology courses, so even as a 'theology' major you could be in fact taking mostly philosophy classes. 'Theology' means much different things depending on where you're studying. I think most of the places you would apply (PhD) will be aware of this, either from familiarity with your school/professors, or by looking at your CV, SOP, writing sample, and so on.

Edited by furtivemode