Advice please: English Lit, abysmal quant score...

viviandarkbloom

Hi all, I'd be grateful if someone could give me a quick bit of advice about the GRE - I'm not from the US so it's all a bit of a mystery to me.

I took the test yesterday. I scored 170 on the verbal and 142 on the quant - which from what I gather is abysmally low. I haven't taken a maths class since I was 16, and was terrible at it then...

The question is whether this is an issue for English Lit programs. Do they even look at the quant score? Should I be concerned? I'm not sure I really have time to retake in any case but would be nice to get a view from someone who knows a bit more about this than I do. Thanks.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I don't think it's that bad considering the circumstances. I've seen some scores in the 130-135 range on this site. Anyway, from what I've gathered, most Lit departments don't care about your math score. You can always email them and ask to make sure. Your math score is probably about average for other people in your field. Plus, your verbal score is perfect so I think you're in good shape. 

Ok thanks, that sounds vaguely reassuring. Was just slightly concerned that if there is an arbitrary cut off based on a combined score then mine would be a bit on the low side. I guess I'm not the only lit student with a profound inability to count...

Hi all, I'd be grateful if someone could give me a quick bit of advice about the GRE - I'm not from the US so it's all a bit of a mystery to me.

I took the test yesterday. I scored 170 on the verbal and 142 on the quant - which from what I gather is abysmally low. I haven't taken a maths class since I was 16, and was terrible at it then...

The question is whether this is an issue for English Lit programs. Do they even look at the quant score? Should I be concerned? I'm not sure I really have time to retake in any case but would be nice to get a view from someone who knows a bit more about this than I do. Thanks.

Hmmm...you got a perfect score for verbal and you want study English lit....I'd say your quant score is not relevant for the most part. 

I would hazard a guess, and put good money on it, that your quant score is is typical of someone applying to Eng. lit. programs at the graduate level  :D

You're probably right, that was kind of what I'd originally presumed. An American lit professor told me not to worry about the gre. So I took him at his word, didn't get round to doing any prep, but then got nervous that I was a bit too blase once I started reading things about cut-offs for combined scores and the like. Guess I'll have to count on other lit people being similarly numerically challenged! 

I know SUNY Buffalo's cut-off for funding is 313, according to their website.  Not sure how strict they are about this.

I actually talked to SUNY Buffalo yesterday and they said that you can get a stipend without having the 313 GRE score, but you can't get fellowship money. She said that the stipend is usually $13,000 a year, and if you have the 313 or higher score, you get an extra $6,000 a year! 

It's interesting because on their website they go on and on about how they don't care about GRE scores, they care more about finding unique applicants, but then they give an extra 6,000 dollars based on your scores. sadface.