Retake GRE?

phil1

I scored a 161V, 161Q and 4.5W on the GRE recently. My GPA and letters of recommendation will be strong. I am wondering if I should retake the test or devote the time to my writing sample that I have yet to complete. I am an undergraduate student and will be applying to PhD and MA programs in Continental philosophy.

Thanks!

Edited by phil1

I'm also wondering about this for programs besides continental. My verbal and quant were 166 and 162, but my writing was only 4. I have no idea what happened, but I'd really rather not take it again. I'm applying to top schools in philosophy of mind from a well respected undergrad program. Does anyone think that this 4 could be a defeater?

So, I was also wondering if I should retake the GRE. I do realize that other aspects of the application, such as the writing sample, will take precedence. That notwithstanding, I also worry that departments may grossly understate the importance of the examination. To be precise, I got a 164V and 154Q and still do not know about the analytical writing part. My undergrad gpa is 3.75 (3.9 in Philosophy) and I am expecting a First-Class MA degree from King's College London, which is not in Philosophy but in Critical Methodologies, the "continental" counterpart. So should I retake the GRE or, given the more positive 'first-cut' objective factors, is my current score sufficient? I'm anxious because of the competitiveness of those degrees as you all well know. It's worth noting though that I am not applying to any 'top-5' departments. I'm applying to Penn State, Vanderbilt, University of Oregon, Duquesne and UC, Berkeley (the last one for 'Rhetoric' and not Philosophy). So what do you think?

Pedro, I would concentrate on your writing sample - those are pretty good scores, and most people who retake the GRE (myself included) don't change their score too much. May I ask what "first class MA degree" means? 

Hey, thanks for your response!

A First-Class Honor Degree is the equivalent of a 4.0 GPA in the UK, though it sounds much more pretentious. The system is a little odd. You can get a Pass, a 2:2 Second Class, 2:1 Second Class and a 1:1 First Class degree.

Can I just end these threads once and for all? I completely understand applicants angst with regard to low GRE scores. But it's November, and apps are due in the next month or two. Literally everything else is more important than the GRE right now. Focus on this semester's grades, focus on your sample, focus on hunting down your letter writers and getting everything in shape for applying. Even if your GRE scores are truly abysmal, do you think you can change that in the next month? I don't mean anything against the OP, who had a 161, 161, 4.5, but those scores are just fine, and in the grand scheme of things they are really pretty good. Could they be better? Of course. But unless you got a 170, 170, 6, whose couldn't? Just focus on what really matters now, which is literally everything except for the GRE :)

Well said philstudent. My GRE scores aren't that great, but I haven't worried about it. Poor GRE scores can be overcome if you have a good writing sample and good recommendations. Those matter more in the long run anyway, and they tell the program more about you as a potential graduate student. Focus on what matters guys/girls, because we don't have much more time.