Waive right to view recommendation?

ydy11

Hi, I'm applying for several graduate schools in physics. 

I was just wondering, what do you think the consequences of NOT waiving your right to view the recommendation letters later on would be? I know I can only see them once I get accepted, but I still want to know which of my traits need further improvement later on.

Your LOR writers will know whether or not you have waived the right, which means they might not feel as comfortable writing an honest evaluation of you. The admissions committee will also know this and they may question whether or not the LOR writer was comfortable enough to actually write an honest evaluation of you. You should always waive your right -- it's not really an option, consider it like yet another EULA you click "yes I agree" to in order to install/use any software!

If you want to know what you need to improve on, it's probably much much better to just sit down and have an honest talk with your profs. Give them some advance notice so you don't catch them off guard. I think if you are trusting these people to write the LORs for you, then hopefully your relationship is good enough so that you can have an honest talk like this (although you might want to wait until you're about to leave if that makes everyone more comfortable).

Hi, I'm applying for several graduate schools in physics. 

I was just wondering, what do you think the consequences of NOT waiving your right to view the recommendation letters later on would be? I know I can only see them once I get accepted, but I still want to know which of my traits need further improvement later on.

Waive. Just waive. It's a thing, just do it. No amount of logic or rationale will ever apply, just waive it for your own best interest at this moment.