Doctoral program recommendations in gender, sexuality and religion?

Hi everyone,

I have a B.A. with majors in English, writing, philosophy and religion. I was equally torn between pursuit of English/writing and philosophy/religion and went the religion route to earn a Master of Divinity because I felt it would be more "practical" (whatever that meant to my little 21 year old brain). 

Anywho, six years later and I'm still a lover of literature at heart. I'm interested in applying to PhDs in English literature and already have a few prospects on my list. My primary interest is where issues of gender and sexuality meet religious convention in literature. 

I was wondering if anyone might recommend any programs or scholars who might be worth looking into on this subject?

Are you looking specifically at English programs, or are you also interested in religious studies programs or programs with an interdisciplinary bent? I'm also interested in literature and religion, and I've been told that Harvard, Duke and Princeton are particularly strong in that field. (With your interests in gender/sexuality, I'd imagine Duke would be of particular interest.) UVA also has some great faculty members working in religion and literature, although I admit I'm a little biased because I did my undergrad there.  :)

I'd love to look into Virginia. An all-Southern education would be fine by me. I'll check into Duke, too, but I'm partly worried that my GRE scores will never be high enough to get in.

I was thinking about applying for PhD programs through religion departments as well. The problem is that most religion PhDs require a master's, of which I have one, but none of my professors/potential references can be bothered to return my e-mails (and I was a good student, too, with a nice disposition). 

It doesn't really surprise me that my liberal arts college profs from undergrad are more than happy to back me up as I apply to English programs but my top-tier/research-oriented profs from grad school are nowhere to be found. Probably off writing books somewhere.  ;)

I was thinking about applying for PhD programs through religion departments as well. The problem is that most religion PhDs require a master's, of which I have one, but none of my professors/potential references can be bothered to return my e-mails (and I was a good student, too, with a nice disposition). 

Yeesh, that's frustrating. I'm sorry to hear that. 

Do you have a time period that you're interested in? 

Yeesh, that's frustrating. I'm sorry to hear that. 

Do you have a time period that you're interested in? 

I'd prefer twentieth century British literature. I think Christopher Isherwood, Jeanette Winterson, Angela Carter, Sarah Waters, and writers in that vein would be a delight to study. Or even ones as early as Virginia Woolf. Lots of great stuff regarding the intersection of social convention and sexuality there.