Multiple Master's: should I omit?

Hey guys,

I really need your advice on how to present my academic history in my current application.

I am wondering whether I should avoid mentioning one of the Master's programs I did.

My situation is as follows:

1) I am currently finishing my second Master's degree (will be done in June), while preparing an application for the program that can potentially bring me the third Master's.

2) My first Master's was in Philosophy from a non-US institution, nothing remarkable. My second Master's will be in Comparative Literature from an Ivy. The program I am now applying to is among top-10 in the world in English, UK-based.

3) From all my previous programs I have graduated with honors, so this is not the question of omitting programs in which I did not do well.

4) Finally, I am a writer and I intend to carry on as one, not aiming for a job in academia. That is why I don't see a point in doing a Ph.D. Meanwhile, this third Master's program will give me just enough time and resources to finish a research project which I have started in my current program but which I won't be able to conduct full-scale, because of this program's short duration.

My main questions are:

- Do you think that a person applying for their third Master's is more likely to be overlooked among other applicants? Also, what about chances to be considered for funding? 

- In relation to this, do you think I should avoid mentioning one of my Master's degrees? I was thinking of straightening things out by saying: "I did my BA in X. Was active and successful as a writer for 5 years. Applied to a top-ranked institution Y. Will get an MA from them in half a year. Am applying to your program Z for my second Master's [reasons explained]".

Sorry for such a lengthy description!

What do you, guys, think?

Edited by uraniborg

I don't really see any reason to avoid mentioning a degree-- phrased the right way, the completion of multiple degrees could be an advantage. You just have to address clearly why you did those, how they relate to this new program, and why you wamt to get a third degree. They will wonder why you are doing multiple masters and not a phd, but that doesn't have to be negative. If you don't mention it in your statement, though, I definitely wouldn't outright lie by saying this would be your second one. That could be a red flag unless they somehow never find out.

You're going to just have to accept that different people on the adcomm will be looking for different things, and some do see omission as a "sin."

Some will see a "3rd masters" and wonder why you're not out in the real world and think they're doing you a favor by putting you there, aka: nonacceptance.

Some will see a lifelong learner who has proven they can do masters level work.

Some will be looking at you, a mothers of 12 who works 3 jobs from a third world country returning to school, and a fresh out of undergrad "kid" with a perfect record. They will only have a single slot and have to pick one of you. Their whim will be entirely based on th number of *craps they give on the particular day.

Just apply, be honest, and don't expect the world since this is your third masters.