Accepted/Applied to only 1 School?

volumen

So I only applied to 2 schools as a test and got accepted to 1 school with little funding and don't know if I should re-apply next year to more schools, or not....

Advice? What if next year I don't get into any?

It depends on many factors.

Are you happy with the school you go into? Do you think it's a good fit and you can do good work there, or are you disappointed and think you could do better?

Can you afford to go to the school that accepted you without going into too much (any?) debt?

What are you going to do this year otherwise? Do you plan to do work that will strengthen you application next year and increase your chances of being admitted to bigger and better (funded) places then?

I can't do better than fuzzylogician's questions, but I did only apply to one school for my MA, and it worked out better than I could possibly have imagined. I chose it for totally non-academic reasons-- I didn't want to move, and I didn't want to stay at my undegrad school, the only other university in town. Since there's not a whole ton of weight placed on the MA in Canada, I figured I could get away with the slight reputation hit I was taking. When I got there, it turned out that it was an amazing, collegial, engaged, wonderful department and that I had an amazing cohort. I don't regret not shopping around one bit. It was the right place for me to be at that time.

fuzzylogic: those are all good questions that I am trying to figure out.

The job market is not so good for what I've been doing, so I have to keep looking for a job. It's like between finding a job and working on art, or getting loans to work on art. I think my work will be much stronger next yeart (it's gotten better from these pass few months already and the process helps fine tune where I want to go with my work.) On the other hand, I got into an art residency in 2010. Luckily that is in the summer, so no overlapping there. If I get into a residency that is smack in the middle of school year, that could change my position.

Well, 2 weeks to decide, right?

I think you'd best seek advice from the professors at "The Chronicle" forums. But...they will tell you that you would be insane to enter a humanities field without funding. I'd even imagine that their responses would be similar for a social science or science field.