University of Chicago MAPH admissions

skgarcia

X-posted from main application forum!  Hope that is okay. :)

Hi there,

I don't want to hear anything about the "cash cow" aspect of this program.  My parents will be funding me completely if I get accepted.  I do want to know if you guys think I have a fighting chance in hell of getting in?  I'm applying for the English literature M.A.P.H.

I haven't taken the GRE yet, and it's scheduled for next week.  Given my stats, what GRE would you guys like to see if I wanted to get accepted?

B.A. in English, concentration literature, history minor, finished my undergrad in 3 years, 21 years old at graduation

3.5 cumulative undergrad GPA, cum laude honors (I'm scared my cum is too low? Algebra and Spanish KILLED my GPA)

3.79 English content GPA

3.96 history content GPA

Three letters of recommendation from PhD holders and published authors in the English literature field/professors from my undergraduate studies

If anyone got into M.A.P.H. -- what were your stats?  

Thank you so much 8)

Also, is the quant part of the GRE really as worthless to MAPH as they say it is?  I contacted the dean and he said they really don't care about quant at all.  I am practically retarded at math (not really, but my math skills pale in comparison to my reading/vocabulary) and need to know how much time to spend studying it before my test.  I kinda want to completely devote myself to vocabulary and really shoot for the stars in that department and neglect my quantitative studies.  I'm just really bad at math;  I'm afraid my math score may be really, really bad if I don't study for it.  However, my time is severely limited.. what to do, what to do?  What if my verbal is outstanding, over 90th percentile, but my quant is sub 50th percentile?

X-posted from main application forum!  Hope that is okay. :)

Hi there,

I don't want to hear anything about the "cash cow" aspect of this program.  My parents will be funding me completely if I get accepted.  I do want to know if you guys think I have a fighting chance in hell of getting in?  I'm applying for the English literature M.A.P.H.

I haven't taken the GRE yet, and it's scheduled for next week.  Given my stats, what GRE would you guys like to see if I wanted to get accepted?

B.A. in English, concentration literature, history minor, finished my undergrad in 3 years, 21 years old at graduation

3.5 cumulative undergrad GPA, cum laude honors (I'm scared my cum is too low? Algebra and Spanish KILLED my GPA)

3.79 English content GPA

3.96 history content GPA

Three letters of recommendation from PhD holders and published authors in the English literature field/professors from my undergraduate studies

If anyone got into M.A.P.H. -- what were your stats?  

Thank you so much 8)

I got into the MAPSS on a half scholarship with slightly better stats and GRE scores of 167V/158Q/4.5W. I don't think there's any more of a specific answer to your question than simply looking through the results archive and seeing what general stats got people in.

Out of curiosity, what interests you in the MAPH program, and what do you hope to get out of it?

I was accepted to MAPH with significantly more modest "stats." What matters is much more the quality of your writing sample and your statement of purpose. 

Hey Swagato, did you attend MAPH? If so, could you tell me how big the cohort is? 

• 3 months later...

skgarcia, 

I've been accepted to MAPH and I have a lower verbal than you. Have you been accepted, too? I have another offer, but I really would love to attend Chicago so am trying to find methods of funding. You're lucky to have parents that will fully fund you. Mine will help, but they won't pay all of it, so I'm hoping for a work-study or something of the like.