MS or PhD?

strudelle

One of the schools I am applying to has an option to apply for an MS (with mater's thesis), an MA (with final exam) or a PhD. The graduate student handbook says that students are generally only admitted to the PhD program and that students are admitted to the MA and MS programs only under special circumstances. Does anyone know what those "special circumstances" might be? I'm not really clear on what that means.

Ultimately, I want to get a PhD (I want to teach and do research in academia). But I would really prefer to get a master's degree first and then see how I feel and maybe take a little time off before getting the PhD. In addition, I think I would have a better chance of getting accepted to a master's program than a PhD program based upon my qualifications. So ideally, I would apply to the master's program. But I don't want my application to the master's program to disqualify me from entry if they usually only admit PhD applicants. I also don't want to shoot for a PhD and then find out after my master's that I am burned out and need a break.

Is it at all possible that if I applied for the PhD and they didn't think I was quite qualified enough, they would admit me to the master's program?

What should I do?

If you want a PhD, then apply to the PhD program.

If you want to get a master's first, then apply to the master's program.

Your decision shouldn't be based upon which one may be easier or less competitive to get into; it should be based upon your own goals and needs.

There's nothing wrong with beginning a PhD program, realizing 2 years in that you are burned out and need a break, and then taking a leave of absence.  Of course, I would advocate that students who are completely unsure about whether they actually want a PhD go get an MA first and then decide later.  But you sound sure that you want a PhD, just that you're not sure you want to do it right this moment.  So really you could go either way.  If you go for the PhD, It will be funded, and if you need to take a leave of a year (or even two) after you complete the MA requirements, you can usually do that.  (Just investigate the university's leave policies - privately, through Internet sleuthing - before you commit.)  If you go for the MA, it will probably cost you loads of money, but it is emotionally and administratively easier to leave after you complete the MA - for real - and take however long you need off before returning, either to that department or elsewhere.

And yes, it is common in some departments for students who are compelling but not quite doctoral-program admissible to get admitted to the MA program.  I would ask the department of interest if they do that.  I have a friend for whom this happened at my university.  Initially she intended to apply for doctoral programs in her second year of her program.  As time went on her desire to do that waned more and more. Ultimately as she came near the end of her MA she decided that she did want to take some time off, so she is currently working in her field and is pretty happy with that decision.

I'm a flip example.  I knew I wanted a PhD but like you, I wasn't sure whether I wanted to go straight through or get a master's first.  I got admitted to my dream PhD program and decided to attend.  About 2 years in, I got burned out and wanted to leave...but I also got a prestigious fellowship that couldn't be deferred, so I decided to continue.  I slogged through about a year and half with depression and anxiety issues along with a lot of uncertainty about whether I wanted to be here.  Towards the end of year 4, though, something in me lifted and I started to feel better and more productive, and now I am extremely happy I stayed because I want a career in academia and research.

So there's no way to predict how it will go, and we humans are notoriously bad at predicting our future emotions and feelings (I'm a psychologist, lol).  So you just have to make the best you can with the information you have available to you now.

Juillet - Thanks, you always offer really helpful advice.  I have seen some posts around the web from people who suffered from anxiety and depression prior to starting graduate school, and who found that it got worse during their PhD candidacy.  This has really concerned me because I have always suffered from depression and anxiety, and the way that I have been feeling completely bogged down, unmotivated, overwhelmed, and depressed during my busy senior year (15 credit hours, independent study research project, internship, teaching, studying for the GRE re-examination, working on grad school applications)  has been making me afraid that maybe I can't handle the PhD no matter how much I really want it.

I am also, of course, terrified that I have no chance of acceptance and I'm making a fool of myself by even applying.  But I suppose all I can do is try.