University of Vermont

GirlattheHelm

Oooo! So good to know other people off the board will be attending. Michelley - what program did you get in (I assume biomed / neuro according to your profile...)?

I'll apparently be hovering around the Wheeler House. I have no idea where that is... and I can see it now: Road trip!

Hi Guys.

I actually went to UVM for undergrad (Go Catamounts!), and I was a History major. Wheeler house is the the department of History's building, and might be the easiest on campus to get to. Drive down the hill on Main Street once you get off the interstate for about 3/4 of a mile (West, towards the lake). When you get to Prospect street take a right. you will see Wheeler on the corner of Main and Prospect on your immediate (and first) left, a big white house. Great School, great people. Good luck!

I'm in the neuroscience PhD program and will be spending a good portion of my life in Fletcher allen/ the health sciences buildings. I see your doing an MA in historical preservation.

I'm from california (did my undergrad work in the South) and have only been to Vermont once. I loved the school, the campus, the faculty, the graduate students etc. etc.

From what I gather, it's a pretty small place. I think we will probably run into one another sooner or later (if not at school then around town).

Where is Adelphi??? I have heard of it before, although I am not sure where. How'd you come to find Vermont?

I am originally from the Burlington area, so if any of you have questions about things to do and see etc. feel free to ask. I love Burlington, and Vermont in general, and never tire of promoting it. You will all probably have a fantastic time at UVM. One thing to be aware of (if you haven't already made up your mind) is that UVM does have some programs of ill repute mixed in, programs which are not selective (in that they accept everyone who applies, most years) and seem to be very poorly organized. My prospective field is one of these departments, so as much as I love Burlington I did not even apply. It is unfortunate because UVM overall is a very good school. Just make sure to investigate your program.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the neuroscience dept, so I can't help you there. I do happen to know the chair of the chemistry department, and generally UVM is strong in the sciences (although USNWR doesn't seem to reflect this.)

I'll be at UVM this fall for my M.S. Historic Preservation. I'm so excited! When is everyone moving to Burlington?

I'm thinking August but nothing's concrete yet. I haven't decided if I want on campus or off campus housing yet... I feel like getting housing outside of Burlington is a better idea - more commute = more space = happier me. But that may or may not happen depending on what's out there this summer.

Oh, and if ya'll are bringing a car from out of state, Vermont requires that after 60 Days of residency you are supposed to have changed over your vehicle registration and get a Vermont License and all that jazz. I highly recommend everyone does this. I know-I know, it's a major pain in the bottom, but I figure I'll do it. That way the car is registered in Vermont and easier if I try to stay on in the state (which I plan to do). Plus it's easier to get it worked on in state and just avoids the hassle of back and forth crap. Minus the fact changing registration is as painful as the day is long, but I hear the DMV is way better in Vermont than in NYS (I hope Vermonter's aren't just on an ego kick - but if it's true, I will stay in Vermont for all of my live-long days!).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks, I'm doing Cell & Molecular Biology at UVM as of this fall! Michelley, I think we might run into each other a couple of times. I've only just got the acceptance so I still haven't figured out what I'm doing about accommodation and so on. Will probably want to live off campus but might need to get a temporary campus room when I'm just getting started. I also need to figure out when the best time to move to Burlington is, I'm thinking sometime between August 20th-25th, but I've asked the program administrator for her advice on that. I really need to get this damn undergrad over and done with so that I can plan all this.

I'm a little surprised there aren't more people going to UVM on this board. Lots of great grad programs there, but I guess the school hasn't made that much of a name for itself yet. I'm definitely thrilled to be going there, though.

To cell and Molecular bio person (above)

That's awesome! I'm sure we will come across one another. It's not a huge place, so I'm sure our paths will cross.

When do you start? I start Aug. 1.

Are you from Vermont? Or the East? I'm from the west coast and am excited/ scared about the winters (I've never lived in snow).

Actually I just realised I haven't been officially told when I start. I only just sent in my admission acceptance form so maybe after that gets processed I will receive another package with more info. I've assumed I start early September, but I can't quite remember why I made that assumption. Would be nice to start a little earlier in fact, would give me an excuse to spend more of the summer in Vermont.

I'm originally from Cyprus and am studying in England so yeah, snow is pretty alien to me as well. I'm excited about it though, I love change and apparently Vermont weather is all about the changing seasons. I'm curious as to how I will adapt in the winter, and am looking forward to doing some skiing (never done it).

Actually I just realised I haven't been officially told when I start. I only just sent in my admission acceptance form so maybe after that gets processed I will receive another package with more info. I've assumed I start early September, but I can't quite remember why I made that assumption. Would be nice to start a little earlier in fact, would give me an excuse to spend more of the summer in Vermont.

I'm originally from Cyprus and am studying in England so yeah, snow is pretty alien to me as well. I'm excited about it though, I love change and apparently Vermont weather is all about the changing seasons. I'm curious as to how I will adapt in the winter, and am looking forward to doing some skiing (never done it).

I should probably not post here, but I will anyway.

I did my undergrad @ Plattsburgh(yea nobodys heard of it) which is right across the lake from Burlington. I have been around Burlington and UVM a little, lively city (or town idk) which is really close to nature with all the mountains and lake Champlain by it. I am sure you guys will enjoy the outdoors as well the city itself. I wish you guys good luck. ;)

Looks like I start August 1st too! Although I'm not actually required to be there until August 17th. I think I might move to Burlington around August 15th. I want to spend a little longer at home since I might not be able to go back for quite some time. A break after finishing my undergrad would also be good.

Michelley, have you already begun contacting supervisors about rotations? I already know which labs I want to rotate in but I'm not sure whether I should wait to get there first and actually meet them before committing to do a rotation with them.

I have no idea when I start. I assume September on a regular calendar schedule but who knows. I still need to get up there, do my course scheduling, get housing, etc-etc.

I dread the apartment hunting. It was awful where I'm currently at; but I got a fabulous apartment, thank god. Minus the HUGE rent cost.

As far as I know, school begins Monday August 31. I don't know when we do course scheduling or anything like that. And I dread the apartment hunting, too! It's always been easy where I live now, so this will be a challenge. Good luck to all!

does anyone know when we are suppose to register for courses???

That'll probably happen over the summer. First things first, remember to send your finalized transcript and all the other whatnots necessary and then I assume other information will follow. Worse case scenario - email the department and ask who your advisor is and then try to contact that person. I know my advisor is back in June... but I still have to send proof that I graduated/completed my bachelors. Most all acceptances are conditional in that way so square away that factor first, then look for registration/orientation crap after. It's only the end of May, so do not fear.

(Do hurry with the apartment hunt though!)

8)

I emailed the program director and will be reg-ing in the summer at some point...

I've been looking at apartments lately... still waiting to hear back from graduate housing. They said they would get back to me towards the end of May.

At this point i just want to get into grad housing... then look for something else (if I don't like it) later on. Im from the other side of the country, so am not going to get the chance to visit Burlington before I have to be there... I figure grad housing is my best bet.... unless I can find a roommate who already has a place.

How's everyones apartment hunt going?

I am pretty much in the same boat, since it's impossible for me to visit Burlington in advance and look for a place I think I will have to apply for AFH and see if I like it. I really wanted to live somewhere close to campus, within walking distance, so that I didn't have to depend on buses to get to school, but AFH is really by far the safest choice.

One thing though, is there any type of AFH apartment that comes furnished? There's the $575/mth "shared apartment" for single students which I'm going to apply for, any idea if that is furnished or not? It would be a huge hassle for me to arrive after a long flight and have no bed to sleep in! Though I could book a hotel for the first couple of nights and just order stuff from Ikea.

EDIT: Ok never mind, should have looked more carefully before posting. The shared apt is meant to be "partially furnished", whatever that means. I'm going for that in any case.

I'm a bit wary about the fact that we don't really get a say in who our roommate will be. I've had some bad roommate experiences. After living in a "house" (essentially a pig sty) with 5 other guys (never EVER do this) and a house with a guy who was convinced that everyone else should pick up after him and had random tantrums about nothing, I really try to choose carefully.

EDIT 2: Just sent my application in. Fingers crossed.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use