162V/160Q - will this be a problem for applying to highly rated computer science programs?

essequamvideri

So, I finally wrote the GRE and got 162V/160Q; quite a bit lower than my practice tests (especially on quant). I'm satisfied with the score given how little I studied (there has been a lot going on in my personal life the past few months, and I studied for less than a week). That said, I am applying to some competitive computer science programs (Berkeley, Princeton, and others), and I know that my quant score is far lower than the average successful applicant to those programs. I have a good GPA and good research experience, so I'm pretty confident about the other aspects of my application, but I'm worried that my quant score is low enough that I'll be excluded for consideration on that alone. Do you think my score is high enough to be past the "threshold" of being automatically excluded? I know that the GRE is a relatively small part of the application, but still.

Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about it. An average is an average. If you scored below a school's acceptance average, guess what! So did other people. Just focus on the other aspects of your application and good luck! The rest of your profile sounds solid. You'll still be competitive.

i wouldnt say your score is 'far lower'...im quite sure the average is probably a 164 or 165 for those schools..meaning theres several people below a 164/165 (probably a few in the high 150's)

IMO once you have a 160+ quant, you're good..plus your verbal score is excellent

• 2 weeks later...

According to Princeton's graduate admissions data, their 2013-2014 applicants had the following average scores:

Engineering                Admits: 162/162     Enrollees: 160/160

Natural Sciences       Admits: 161/161     Enrollees: 158/158

http://www.princeton.edu/pub/profile/admission/graduate/

I'm not sure under which category Princeton classifies CS. I wouldn't be too worry about your scores.