Fordham Applied Psych Methods MS- Thoughts?

wall21

Anyone applied and admitted to Fordham's Applied Psych Methods MS program? I believe it started last year, and it looks very interesting. I think you can focus your studies on either program evaluation or statistics/ mathematical application. Seems very unique, and is quickly becoming one of my top choices as it could lead to better job prospects after graduation as opposed to just a general psychology MA.

Stats: 3.2 GPA, 161V, 158Q

1.5 years working in research lab, acting Research coordinator for 5 months

Prospects of 1 abstract under my belt by the time of applications

Edited by wall21

Seems very unique, 

i don't mean to sound disparaging but, after checking it out, i can't say it looks too different from any other Quantitative Psychology program out there... maybe because of the internship? 

yup, yup. here's a really good one:

http://www.apa.org/research/tools/quantitative/index.aspx?item=2

the APA website is, in general, a pretty awesome resource when it comes to getting acquainted with Quant Psych. we are still a dying breed that is very much in demand so APA's doing the best it can to try and keep this important branch of Psychology alive... (without too much success, i must add)

Wow, awesome. Thank you so much!

In your opinion, how intensive are the math courses for this kind of degree? I initially began my degree in Engineering so I have a background in Calculus type classes in addition Behavioral Stats and Engineering Stats, but I'm not sure I'd be cut out for the more intensive classes like Diff Eq or classes of that nature...

I don't know anything about quantitative psych, but I did take a lot of math in college. Diff EQ is relatively easy- if you got through multivariable calc without too much pain, you'll be more than fine with Diff EQ and linear algebra and the like. I don't know what types of math courses are covered in quant psych, though.

In your opinion, how intensive are the math courses for this kind of degree? I initially began my degree in Engineering so I have a background in Calculus type classes in addition Behavioral Stats and Engineering Stats, but I'm not sure I'd be cut out for the more intensive classes like Diff Eq or classes of that nature...

well, i did my BSc in Mathematics  and found the classes to be VERY easy and VERY manageable. i did realize that some of the peeps who came from a Psych-only background struggled a little bit (depending on the prof, mostly) but nothing too crazy. the Multivariate Stats i took in the Psych dept was an EXTREMELY watered-down version of the introduction to linear algebra course i took as an undergrad. 

the emphasis on most of these programs is more on applications than theoretical developments, so as long as you have an intuition for numbers you should be fine. still, learning following the theorem-proof-theorem-proof method is always an advantage, particularly if you need to read theoretical papers. 

what i can say helps you out A LOT is if you're a good computer programmer. being good at programming and working in syntax-exclusive environment (so no drop-down menus like SPSS) is a *must* in this field. particularly if you like Fordham's program.

R (the statistical computing environment) will become your new best friend. if it doesn't, then SAS or Stata will. so if you're not already familiar with any of these three, i'd suggest you start learning them fast  :)