Number of faculty in program

schoolpsycher

Is the number of core faculty members in a program a sign of how good/bad the program is? I'm applying to EdS degrees in School Psychology and trying to remove a couple schools from my list. One school has 3 core faculty members and one affiliated faculty member vs. another school I was thinking of eliminating that has 7 core faculty and 2 affiliated faculty. 

Maybe, but I'm not aware of how this would be factored into any of the rankings out there.  I think what would be more important is what are those professors doing?  Are they publishing, earning grants, etc?  What kind of diverse perspectives do they offer? 

Also what do you want?  I personally like to have a variety of faculty to learn from and work with, so just 3 wouldn't be ideal for me.  Someone else may prefer to be very close to just a couple of professors. 

It just means the department is small, which comes with both pros and cons. It really depends how much money each professor is bringing in, and how much work they do. I'm at a relatively small department, but all the professors are very good at what they do. At larger departments, you may get more of a mix. So look through the CV of each faculty member, and you should get a good sense.