Getting a degree no one else has yet and no one has heard of..?

Loric

So I want a degree that recently popped up, created from the ground up new - an MFA.

It's a design degree but intermingles with film and performance as much as it does visual art.  The primary reason I want it is because of the internships the students in the program are doing, which are great connections in a closed industry that's near impossible to break into without "knowing" someone.

But as I alluded to, no one even has the degree yet (the program isnt old enough) it's the only program of its kind and only offered at one school....

I don't know, my app is in and i'm being considered as we speak so there's no turning back in that sense. I'm going if I get accepted. I guess it's that I wish that there were more options or even a backup plan. It's pretty much "please take me.. you're my only hope Obi Wan.."

And it feels so weird to be in that position. For background, I went into an MFA theatre design program originally. My undergrad is theatrical design. I've been doing boring "day job" work for a few years after having left the theatre program I was in because I was fed up.

The new program is actually the career I wanted. It just didn't exist before so I went into theatrical design as a "related" field.. only to get constantly picked on because of my interests and career aspiration "That's not real art!"

So.. I'm very torn on the whole thing. I think going after what I want, and have wanted, is the right move. An opportunity is presenting itself and i'd be silly to ignore it. At the same time, I'm worried with it being a new program at a private school it might all end up being a very expensive waste of time with far more promises than actual rewards.

What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Unless you're rich, will the program give you any funding? Can you realistically afford to go? 

Could you arrange the internship or similar on your own now, using a bit of the money you'd use for grad school to pay for your living expenses?

Ultimately, your portfolio and interpersonal skills will get you the work you want, not the letters after your name. 

Who will be financially better off in the end? You or the school?