Career objectives in SOP

Some of my applications say to include career objectives in my SOP. I think it's obvious that my current goal is to become a professor or get involved in a research-oriented non-academic position - why else would I want to go for a PhD? I don't really want to add this information in my SOP, because I feel there is nowhere it really fits and would only serve to make my SOP sound more choppy and less cohesive. However, even more so, I don't want the people reading it to consider this a major affront.

Edit: just realized another application asks for this, and also has a separate box for career objectives. Ugh.

Edited by heyo

What did you write in your SOP...?

It's not a "write what you want" sort of thing.. you are supposed to be answering the prompt. It does typically include trajectory, interests, etc.. but how you explained you'd be a good fit for the program or that your interests aligned without mentioning your career goals just baffles me.

What on earth did you write..?

Edited by Loric

Also, just to follow up... nothing is obvious. They don't know you, how your mind works, or anything of the sort. They are making decisions based on what you're telling them.

They will not assume your career goals, even if they seem clearly spelled out. For all we know you could be going to grad school to find a husband - seriously, search these forums, there's people who do/did.

Some of my applications say to include career objectives in my SOP. I think it's obvious that my current goal is to become a professor or get involved in a research-oriented non-academic position - why else would I want to go for a PhD? I don't really want to add this information in my SOP, because I feel there is nowhere it really fits and would only serve to make my SOP sound more choppy and less cohesive. However, even more so, I don't want the people reading it to consider this a major affront.

Edit: just realized another application asks for this, and also has a separate box for career objectives. Ugh.

I recommend that you discuss your career objectives in a way that shows you understand how your own interests fit into the needs of your field as well as the broader needs of either the Ivory Tower or the private sector. By detailing how you fit into those two overlapping big pictures, you may demonstrate to readers that you have a maturing (but provisional) vision of your future rather than an embryonic fantasy.

One other point. Do not ever assume that anything related to your pursuit of an advanced degree is "obvious" and therefore not worthy of your full attention and your best effort. You want to give people reasons to take you and your interests seriously--using words like "obvious" is an invitation to do the opposite.

I recommend that you discuss your career objectives in a way that shows you understand how your own interests fit into the needs of your field as well as the broader needs of either the Ivory Tower or the private sector. By detailing how you fit into those two overlapping big pictures, you may demonstrate to readers that you have a maturing (but provisional) vision of your future rather than an embryonic fantasy.

One other point. Do not ever assume that anything related to your pursuit of an advanced degree is "obvious" and therefore not worthy of your full attention and your best effort. You want to give people reasons to take you and your interests seriously--using words like "obvious" is an invitation to do the opposite.

Oo, I like you. Post more.