Online MS in Computer Science

Chella

Hi Everyone!

Due to some personal reasons, am looking to pursue my masters in distant mode and been searching for information about that. I hope you people don't mind answering some basic questions that I have.
About myself, I have a 95% in my undergrads and been working for the last 3 years. Will be taking GRE and TOEFL shortly.
Sorry if some of my questions are silly. I personally have a lot of reservations about distance education, so could not get on board readily, when it's my turn!
1. So which school's online program is the best? The following schools online education system for MS in CS looked impressive:
a. USC
b. UIUC
c. CMU 
d. PSU
e. Georgia Tech
Can you pls advise?
2. All schools say that an MS earned through distant mode is equivalent to a regular one. But is it really so? Do companies value the two equally?
3. Do the schools provide support for placements as well?

Would really appreciate your thoughts on the above. Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards
Chella

Hi Everyone!

Due to some personal reasons, am looking to pursue my masters in distant mode and been searching for information about that. I hope you people don't mind answering some basic questions that I have.
About myself, I have a 95% in my undergrads and been working for the last 3 years. Will be taking GRE and TOEFL shortly.
Sorry if some of my questions are silly. I personally have a lot of reservations about distance education, so could not get on board readily, when it's my turn!
1. So which school's online program is the best? The following schools online education system for MS in CS looked impressive:
a. USC
b. UIUC
c. CMU 
d. PSU
e. Georgia Tech
Can you pls advise?
2. All schools say that an MS earned through distant mode is equivalent to a regular one. But is it really so? Do companies value the two equally?
3. Do the schools provide support for placements as well?

Would really appreciate your thoughts on the above. Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards
Chella

Things to check if a school claims that its distance learning degree program is the equivalent to the one on campus:

1. Will distance learning students be able to watch video-recorded lectures or listen to audio-recorded lectures?

2. Do the distance learning classes cover the same material in the same amount of depth as the classes that are on campus?

3. Do the distance learning students get the same assignments and same exams as the students on campus?

I took some courses through Stanford SCPD program. You do indeed watch the same lectures as on-campus students (through video), and do the same homework assignments, projects, and exams. I think most people in industry would recognize that there's really little benefit to physically being on a campus when it comes to computer science, so I don't think online MS degrees are looked down upon (aside from some lasting stigma associated with only degrees, that I suspect will eventually disappear).

Georgia Tech is putting a lot of effort into their online MS program, and it seems pretty reasonably priced unlike a lot of online MS programs out there, so I'd definitely recommend giving that a shot. Stanford's program was pretty good, but it's very expensive. You should also see if your job will cover the cost. A lot of places will.

• 4 weeks later...

I took some courses through Stanford SCPD program. You do indeed watch the same lectures as on-campus students (through video), and do the same homework assignments, projects, and exams. I think most people in industry would recognize that there's really little benefit to physically being on a campus when it comes to computer science, so I don't think online MS degrees are looked down upon (aside from some lasting stigma associated with only degrees, that I suspect will eventually disappear).

Georgia Tech is putting a lot of effort into their online MS program, and it seems pretty reasonably priced unlike a lot of online MS programs out there, so I'd definitely recommend giving that a shot. Stanford's program was pretty good, but it's very expensive. You should also see if your job will cover the cost. A lot of places will.

Beware of the Georgia Tech's new online CS master program. Even though you pay less tuition, you will be with 150 other students in the same class, and your diploma will NOT carry the same degree designation as the on-campus CS master program. IMO, the quality and prestige don't exist in GA Tech's online master.

Beware of the Georgia Tech's new online CS master program. Even though you pay less tuition, you will be with 150 other students in the same class, and your diploma will NOT carry the same degree designation as the on-campus CS master program. IMO, the quality and prestige don't exist in GA Tech's online master.

That's not entirely true:

http://www.omscs.gatech.edu/faq/

How will this degree appear on my diploma and/or transcript?
The name "Online Master of Science" is an informal designation to help both Georgia Tech and prospective students distinguish the delivery method of the OMS program from our on-campus degree. The degree name in both cases is Master of Science in Computer Science.

That's not entirely true:

http://www.omscs.gatech.edu/faq/

How will this degree appear on my diploma and/or transcript?
The name "Online Master of Science" is an informal designation to help both Georgia Tech and prospective students distinguish the delivery method of the OMS program from our on-campus degree. The degree name in both cases is Master of Science in Computer Science.

check their program proposal... it clearly indicates that there will be distinct names for online and on-campus program degrees.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/703594-mooms-proposal-2-28-13.html

Does anyone know if employers care if your CS degree was done on campus or online? I mean something like CS there is little value in doing it in person.  It's not like it's an MBA or Law School where soft skills are what's being taught.

Edit:  Anyone know the employment rate, starting salaries, recruiting stats for online programs?

Edited by billrach

Does anyone know if employers care if your CS degree was done on campus or online? I mean something like CS there is little value in doing it in person.  It's not like it's an MBA or Law School where soft skills are what's being taught.

Edit:  Anyone know the employment rate, starting salaries, recruiting stats for online programs?

I have an undergraduate degree in Computer Science that was earned through distance learning. I work as a software engineer and my employer doesn't care if a CS degree was done on campus or online.