How much did you improve on 2nd attempt?

md152

How much did you study, how long did you wait and how much did you improve?

I took the test without studying, did OK and am trying to decide if I should retake it. I would have two weeks to study( no classes or works irony this time).

My verbal and writing scores are just over 80th percentile but my quant is just over 50th.

I'm applying to geology gradschools (non quant intensive programs)

I studied for less than 3 hours a few days before the test the second time and improved my score by a total of 9 points. The first time I hadn't slept the night before or eaten anything that day (It was finals week, bad decision, I know). I'm a person who has a slow cautious style of learning, so the quant section was my biggest challenge. I don't like to go fast with math, but I'm definitely not bad at it. Still, raised the quant score by 3 points, the verbal by 6, and my AW stayed the same (though it was already a 5 from the first test).

I first took the GRE without studying. This was a long time ago ('94), when it was paper based and the analytic section was logic problems instead of writing. Verbal: 99th percentile. Quantitative: something in the low 50s, between 52nd and 55th percentile.

When I retook it in 2009, I studied for two weeks ahead of time. V: 99th. Q: 69th (a 700 on the 800 scale). If I'd known ahead of time how straightforward the Q section is (i.e. it doesn't require any super-advanced math I'd never had, just a good grasp of arithmetic, geometry, and basic probability,) I would have started earlier and could have brought it up much higher. At any rate, though, the difference between a percentile in the low 50s and a score of 700 out of 800...that's probably going to be the difference between admission and rejection for me in some of my applications. So, yes, you can definitely bring your score up in two weeks!

I took mine Nov 15th and posted about my performance here: (basically I studied a lot, did well on practice tests as shown, but bombed actual test)

I plan to take them again on Dec 10th but was going to follow the advice I've seen on the forums of "going in not putting so much weight on the test..."

I'll prepare here and there for the math... but not at the same intensity as the first time I took it. Good idea?

I took it the first time without studying- 153 V/151Q 4.5 writing. OK.

I studied for 3 weeks then took it again, got 154V/149Q. Wut. Obviously, if you're just a shitty standardized test taker like me, you shouldn't waste the 180$ on a second shot.

The first time I took it, it was 152V/147Q. I took it again today, 158V/148Q. I focused primarily on studying for the math before taking the second one. I hardly brushed over the verbal. So to only improve the quant section by 1 point after all that, I'm done. I'm not wasting any more money on this exam.

Damn, that sucks.

My scores are:

159 Verbal

152 Quant

4.5 Verbal

I would really like to bring my quant score up.

I'm not applying to any top schools but its still lower than I would like.

As I wrote elsewhere

sadly I did not improve, in fact it worsened.

First time: 158Q, 156V

Second time: 156Q, 155V

I found the actual exam much harder when I took it the second time around.  I know that's not great news for you...

MD152,

Certainly a slightly better Quant score would be good. 

But if you are applying to non-Quant intensive programs, you can take a chance and apply - if the rest of your application is strong.

Make sure your SOP and writing sample are great.