A limerick as the opening line of the SoP?

Hi Everyone,

I was planning to open my SoP with a limerick on the topic of my proposed PhD major.

Its an intelligent, mathematically accurate limerick, that may invoke a chuckle out of someone familiar with the branch of science.

But I was wondering if it would be appropriate to start with a humorous limerick, or would it be too informal for an SoP?

I'm slightly unfamiliar about how formal/ informal an SoP's introduction should be. 

Thanks a lot!

P.S: Again, this limerick isn't insulting or obscene in any way. 

I think that would be unorthodox. Usually, SOPs are more formal than that. I would recommend starting a SOP with an expression of your research interests and goals, then discuss your background and how they relate to achieving your goals at the school you're applying to.

However, in some fields, although having something like a limerick would be strange/different, it's not necessarily bad. I don't think it's going to magically win you any bonus points though and there are no real obvious benefits. I know people who have included things like photographs in their SOPs and they are in top ranking programs. Ultimately, my opinion is that I don't see a benefit of forcing a limerick into your SOP just to have it. But if you feel this is how you want to express yourself, then it probably won't hurt you. That is, if you are a strong candidate, having a limerick isn't going to give you an automatic rejection, in my opinion. 

In that case, I'm definitely removing it. It does look slightly fancy and out of place. Thanks semicolon2013 and TakeruK!

TakeruK: I agree with the format you suggested, namely starting with research goals and interests. 

However, I'm not able to find a formal start to the SOP if I'm including research in the first paragraph.

Just to be clear, my SOP has the following format:

1. Introduction. (Limerick followed by a line about what program I'm applying to)
  2.  The next 2-3 paragraphs about my interest in this topic and projects I've worked on in this field. 
  3.  The Second Last paragraph talks about which lab I'm interested in working with, and what I plan to do if admitted.
  4. What are my broader goals in life.

Do you suggest that I bring point 4 to replace my Introduction( point 1)?

Also, any suggestions about how I could start the SoP?

Thanks!

In that case, I'm definitely removing it. It does look slightly fancy and out of place. Thanks semicolon2013 and TakeruK!

TakeruK: I agree with the format you suggested, namely starting with research goals and interests. 

However, I'm not able to find a formal start to the SOP if I'm including research in the first paragraph.

Just to be clear, my SOP has the following format:

1. Introduction. (Limerick followed by a line about what program I'm applying to)
  2.  The next 2-3 paragraphs about my interest in this topic and projects I've worked on in this field. 
  3.  The Second Last paragraph talks about which lab I'm interested in working with, and what I plan to do if admitted.
  4. What are my broader goals in life.

Do you suggest that I bring point 4 to replace my Introduction( point 1)?

Also, any suggestions about how I could start the SoP?

Thanks!

Most likely, just scrap the introduction. Your (1) research interests and (2) goals should open it up. e.g. What you want to study, generally and specifically, and how that will help you achieve your goal of...

So an abrupt start to an SOP is okay, is it?

Something like ' The XYZ lab at the ABC university has done excellent research on MNOP. If admitted, I would like to contribute to the XYZ lab, and work on adding PQR functionality to MNOP." Will this do, or is it too abrupt?

So an abrupt start to an SOP is okay, is it?

Something like ' The XYZ lab at the ABC university has done excellent research on MNOP. If admitted, I would like to contribute to the XYZ lab, and work on adding PQR functionality to MNOP." Will this do, or is it too abrupt?

Could work. Why not "I would like to pursue a Ph.D. in X at University Y exploring [topics] A, B and C." And elaborate from there. You can get creative in how you describe your research interests and background, but you don't want the committee getting caught up in an opening paragraph that is taking up space more than selling you to them.

I don't think it's "abrupt" to do what TakeMyCoffeeBlack says, and I would even recommend it. These people are reading a lot of SOPs so getting right to the point would probably be appreciated!

In some ways it's too bad they're not just looking for a well rounded student like in undergrad. ;)

Ah, I see. I was afraid that sort of an opening line may be too abrupt! That's why I was trying very elaborate opening lines.

Thanks a lot!

If you've got an exceptional hook then it might make sense to do something elaborate in the beginning, but otherwise getting right to the point is good.

Example of an exceptional hook: you want to study the causes of genocide, and the hook is: you're a survivor of a genocide, and that's what brought you to the topic.