LSE versus Oxford, help!

ofthejungle

Hi all,

I have applied to the MSc Political Economy at LSE and MSc in Modern China Studies at Oxford, and I have received offers from both schools. I got the offers from almost a month now, and I still have a hard time deciding where to go. Eventually I plan to go on and get a Ph. D, but I will most likely work for a few years (aim for consulting) before going back to academia after my Master's, and here are my questions:

1) I heard that Oxford still has the better reputation compared to LSE, is this true? Do graduates of Oxford have an easier time getting a job/ admissions into Ph. D program compared to LSE?

2) Related to the second question, the subject of the LSE masters (Political Economy) is more impressive, and may be more helpful in helping me get a job/ Ph. D admissions in the future, right?

3) If answers to both 1) and 2) are yes, does the subject matter at LSE offset the reputation advantage of Oxford?

4) For graduates of LSE - I heard horror stories about how it is really hard to get the required readings from the library - people often have to fight for the few copies. How bad is the situation?

Thanks for the help! I really want to make my decision soon so that someone else on the wiatlist can take my position!

Best regards,

George

If you can't go to Cambridge, then I'd go to Oxford. You'll have a lot more fun and feel part of something more. LSE is great, but you are essentially a Londoner who attends some classes rather than feeling part of a school. Oxford will be more of an 'experience'.

Okay...

I actually applied to both Oxford and LSE too. I lived in the EU last summer to do research and many of the people I worked with had Oxbridge and LSE degrees. That said, it didn't really separate any of them. Both degrees meant something when these people came out of school. When I was accepted into LSE, I told my boss from last summer - who is well known in EU affairs - and she told me that LSE has incredible job prospects for graduates. That "doors open up when you graduate from LSE". Also, I was glancing over the Foreign Affairs ranking system [not that it means much for "specific programs"]...but... LSE was ranked above Oxford in terms of MSc degrees. Oxford was then close to LSE (but above) in terms of PhD programs. So if you are only going for an MPhil or MSc it looks like both will be top notch. Oxford might have the reputation abroad though...if you want to continue on in your graduate studies elsewhere.

Also - is funding an issue? Who might give you more? I was looking over the Oxford fees and floored. If I get in, I have few ideas of how I am going to pay for it.

Plus, it depends if you are a city person or a country person. Oxford is gorgeous and natural. London is fast paced and vibrant. It's really what you like best.

I think the above is right, although Oxford is bustling in its own way. You can't go wrong with either, so a feeling of 'fit' is probably better. I am a native Londoner, so I might well downplay the effect of a foreigner being able to live in London, but the Oxbridge 'experience' was something that I thought was pretty unique. A few friends of mine turned down Oxbridge offers for London unis because they didn't like the idea of gowns, balls, college living and all the bells and whistles of Cambridge and Oxford. The anonymity of London suited them. It really depends on what's your idea of a fun place to be for a year.

I think I am turning down Oxford, and attend LSE, because:

1) I have a scholarship to LSE - money is not a constraint for me, but its still nice to save some money on education.

2) I have a professor who knew the professors at the LSE Government Department really well, so I will be able to do research with some good professors at LSE (i.e. David Held).

3) LSE's program will give me more quantitative training - I went a school with a PoliSci that emphasizes historical analysis instead of quant stuff. It's good to have exposure to both.

4) The LSE will introduce to some generic models which will lay a strong foundation for my later studies of public policy and political science.

5) Reputation and prospect wise, both LSE and Oxford are pretty good.

6) Quant components will help in applying to U.S. PliSci Ph.D greatly, if I decided to apply later.

The Oxbridge tradition is actually a plus for me - I am an international student from Taiwan and it will be an interesting experience for me. But academics and future work prospect are my main considerations.

Finally made a decision! I have been struggling for three 1 month already! I like both schools a lot!