Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About threedaystar

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Program
    IR: European Affairs
  1. I don't have a Clarendon so I can't be of any help - sorry!
  2. gtown: I went ahead and paid the fee for the on-campus housing. For where I get to live (in the heart of the city) I am guessing it will definently be the cheapest option. I got posted to Nothumberland House - which is right on Trafalgar Square. Should be about a 20 minute walk to school (which is nothing...). Don't know what the rooms are like - but all graduate students get singles (yay us !). You only have 14 days on which to decide if they give you housing. My advice is to suck it up and pay the 300$ for a deposit. It also should be somewhat refundable if you decide not to go. Um, the reason I say this...is because I actually got a better offer to another school and am seriously considering not going to LSE. If I do, I should be able to get some of the deposit back (at least I think).
  3. I need a Master's for my field. I want to work as either an analyst for European Union affairs in Agricultural and Trade politics or go on and get a PhD in my field. Basically, I cannot earn anything with my degrees as of now (I have a BA in Foreign Affairs and English Lit). To do anything in IR or Politics, you either need hardcore experience or a Masters/PhD. However, I have calculated this... (about right???) Future Earnings as a Professor: maybe 100K a year
  4. 2400 - thanks for all the help. I am going to try and talk to Oxford's financial dept. this week sometime. I have also had one really nice Oxford friend helping me out. She is American too - and has practically said for those of us without Rhodes, you are looking at loans and maybe only a small chunk of funding from the dept/financial office... Also, do you mind me asking what program you got accepted to? Are you going to go? If you don't want it here - pm me ?
  5. Thanks for the help and suggestions. I am going to make a pro/con list. I am also going to keep talking to professors both at my current school and LSE/Oxford. I know I am going to school regardless. I almost have to have a Masters for a job in International Relations and / or European Affairs. Part of me actually does want to defer a year (I know I can for LSE, I have to check on Oxford). However, that means my undergrad loans would go into payment. Having no steady job offer on the table, that's a scary option too. It's so complex... :shock:
  6. So I wasn't expecting this - but I got accepted into the MPhil in European Politics and Society at Oxford this week. Of course, no funding. And I also go into LSE's MSc Politics and Govt of the European Union. Also, no funding. :cry: Um - help? I got into two fantastic programs, but I am scared either 1) I am going to make the wrong choice or 2) Never get out of debt. Oxford = 2 years so more pricey in the long run as far as tuition goes. But, one year in London is still going to be $$$. The city itself is more expensive to live in... However, what I am worried is that if I take loans, I will never be able to pay them on a professors salary (I already have loans from undergrad). Also, anyone have thoughts on how the programs compare? Professors are telling me that if I want to go the academia route, Oxford will be best. But if I want a job, either would be good. Any help / thoughts ???? Anyone else in the same programs ????
  7. So to make a long story short - I was very excited about applying to graduate school (felt that it would be a good "fit" for me) - however, the last few weeks, I have become more uneasy and more uneasy about my decision. I happened to turn down a mediocre job offer for grad school, and lots of people are telling me I am making a great decision by going to a top notch program for my field (friends, professors, family) --- yet, the financial aspect is freaking me out. I have a lot of student debt from undergrad thanks to no help whatsoever by my family to help me go. Plus, I would be adding another 20K+ for grad school. Yes, I know thats relatively cheap for grad school...but I am thinking I am going to be around 70K in the hole, by the time I finish (that's undergrad + grad). Yes, I know this is a lot of debt. My parents and I have discussed it and they said they would be willing to help me pay some of it in the next 5 years. So am I crazy for going to grad school? Bad decision? A lot of professors are telling me not to worry and that I will work it out in the future, but the big unknown is killing me.
  8. I am wondering if it would be acceptable to email the politics grad program at Oxford to check on my status? I know decisions for gathering III should not be out until May, but I am hard pressed because I have other offers/housing decisions on the line and I need to make a decision soon. Is it okay to email so far in advance to see if any offer has been made? I don't want to scare them off, but I also do need some sort of answer soon, or else I am just going to take the offer I have - and leave Oxford alone...which I kind of do not want to do. Tips?
  9. Has anyone heard any word from Oxford's dept of politics, for those who applied in Gathering Field III ? I applied for the Mphil program in Euro Politics and am waiting to tell other programs if I am coming or not... so yeah - any news/updates ???
  10. I try to be an optimist, with a heavy dose of realism mixed in. I think that lately a lot of people have been chiming in on keeping an SO long distance. Well - from family experience [my father was deployed most of my childhood and my mother stayed home] and from my own experiences- I can say that long distance sucks, BUT is feasible if both people really want it. Some couples can make it work, others cannot. Plus, 100-300 miles of distance is one thing, when one SO is on the other side of the world, it is another. Just think about the time and money etc... that traveling might induce or prohibit you from being with your SO. I know I haven't seen my bf in months and it is making me :shock: But also - hearing all these stories of couples who do make the grad school leap together [and make it work] makes me feel somewhat warm and fuzzy.
  11. Off topic - but can I ask in which gathering you applied ? II or III? I am still waiting on III and I am wondering when letters will be sent out... Also - I know overseas students have a lot of problems getting enough funding for the DPhil. You might get some aid from your college and such...but not enough to totally offset the cost of the DPhil. It sucks that the UK hardly funds PHd students like the US. I am also planning on doing an MSc in the UK - and am willign to take out funding for this (about 25,000$). However, I know my PHd (if I go for one) has got to be funded. My opinion: do a one year Oxford program and then do your PHd where you can get funded. That way you have the Oxford experience, but also achieve your dream goal of having a PHd/DPhil.
  12. I'll be doing an MSc in Politics and Government of the European Union. I am getting pretty excited about moving to London !
  13. I would put a deposit down. If you lose it...well its only a small amount of money over where would make you happiest. I actually had a professor last week tell a student that he should go ahead and do it, just to secure a spot. Yes, it may seem slightly unethical, but YOU got into the program [hence, YOU should be deciding your future] and if you pull a deposit out - they may open up that spot to the waitlist. I wouldn't really worry about it.
  14. No, sadly. I have lots of friends in Europe - but no one I think would co-sign for me.
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.