Incomplete writing sample + co-authorship question

Wako

Hey all,

I'm working on applications for this upcoming cycle and realized I don't have any good or really great single-author writing samples. I do have a few complete projects, but they're all co-authored.

Would it be appropriate to edit out my co-author's written works and submit it as a writing sample? I would have a cover sheet explaining that I did such and that the project was collaborated on, but I would cut out everything that my co-author wrote. My co-author has okayed me doing this, but I'm wondering how that's looked upon by an admissions committee.

Another one of the problems would be that the sample would then be missing some pretty important parts of the research project as a whole (for example, the literature review, setting, etc). Does that matter if it still matches the length required?

Alternatively, I have a weak class paper that is pretty short (9 pages) and badly written. I considered submitting that instead, but I wouldn't feel confident in it at all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If by far your best work is a co-authored paper, then that's the paper you should submit. However, cutting out your co-author's contribution is an odd way of dealing with the co-authorship problem. Instead, leave the paper whole and add an addendum explaining your contributions to the research and to the writing. If possible, you should also have a letter writer describe the paper and your contributions to it.