Quick thoughts on retaking the GRE

urbanac

I'm interested in applying for political science (particularly poli theory, or IR) programs at the end of next year. I'm really aiming for a top 5 program- if I'm going to spend 5-7 years somewhere, I want it to be the best program I can get into. 

Just took the GRE and scores were:

159(quant)

168 (verbal) 

All I want to know (and I realize "know" is a tough word here) is it worth retaking the GRE to bring that quant score up? I know the GRE doesn't necessarily qualify you for schools like the LSAT does, but would that quant score hurt my chances at a top program? 

Thoughts are greatly appreciated. 

There are top-5 (top-7?) schools where, I can tell you from experience, they do not factor GRE scores in at all. There are others where they might use them as a metric, especially to cut the bottom of the pack, but I would still think that your scores would not get you cut. Also, in political theory/qualitative IR, your SOP and other points of application will likely matter much more than your GRE quant score. It's hard to let your applications go without a "perfect" score, but really, you should be fine.

IF you're applying at the end of next year and you actually have the time and genuinely believe you can increase your quant score while actually holding on to a verbal score of that level, of course it can't hurt. But this time may be spent better having a spectacular writing sample, submitting articles for publication, doing research with professors.... etc etc etc. I see it relatively unlikely to keep you out of consideration except perhaps at Stanford.