LOR Woes

Hi all.

First post here. Someone who I asked for an LOR just replied back to say that she would be "more than happy" to write one. However, the reply came one week after the initial request and I had to send a follow-up to confirm. I've never had her take one week to respond to me on anything before when I was still working with her. I understand Thanksgiving is busy for everyone so maybe it's not a big deal. However, she also suggests that she's not sure how useful her letter will be, given that there were issues on the project that we were working on together. She also asks if I've considered asking someone else.

This leads me to think that whatever she'll write is gonna be a stinker which is rather upsetting given that I feel I've done my best for her.

Should I just go ahead and ask if she'll write me a positive letter or would that come across as awkward and too confrontational. Or should I just hope that the letter from her wouldn't sabotage my application. 

Opinions???

I've been given the advice before that it's okay to ask outright: Do you think you could write a positive LOR? I understand if not, and in that case I will ask someone else. I just enjoyed and appreciated my time doing/taking XYZ with you, so I figured I would ask you first.

However, it sounds like she's already being pretty straightforward about this and wants you to look elsewhere. But that's a good thing, honestly. Even if she only writes good things, they probably won't be too stellar or standout. "S/he was a good student" rather than "incredible, once in a lifetime student" is not going to help you too much, even if it doesn't hurt you.

This leads me to think that whatever she'll write is gonna be a stinker.....

However, it sounds like she's already being pretty straightforward about this and wants you to look elsewhere.

Agreed. IMO, her "yes" was really a "no" that would have better served you if she'd just said "no." 

I agree with the other posters -- there are always "issues" with projects. It does sound as though she's trying to get out of writing the letter. It might be that she's just too busy right now, not that she has any specific problems with you. I have had to write a couple of letters, and it generally takes me several hours (basically, a full evening) to do a really good job. Maybe I'd get faster if I had to write as many as these profs probably do, but it still takes time and effort.