Personal history statement - Indian MIddle student

Hi,

I have to write a PHS for UCB and the deadline is tomorrow. I'm from India and I haven't really faced any serious challenges other than schoolyard bullying. I'm from a middle class family. Could someone advise me on how to go about writing a decent PHS?

Why not talk about being from India and how that's a unique experience (in comparison to many others entering grad schools - unless you're applying in India?) that will contribute to the department as a whole, and also to your insights and capabilities as a student/researcher/professor? 

Hi!

I am from India too. I used that exp of living in the country and drew parallels with my interest in the course I was applying for.

I too wrote a personal statement to apply for my masters. In that I wrote about how my personal experiences as a child in school or in my under graduation helped me gather inspirations and motivations to pursue the particular course.

Alternatively, if by chance you scored a low gpa in any semester or any minor, major, you could mention that too. Though, don't make it sound like an excuse but a proper explanation with how did you achieve to overcome it later. Or if had to face any hardships to study or something, you could mention that too. So well basically it's anything to everything from your life which you think reflects your choice of taking this course.

Does this make sense? Hope it helps.

Cheers!

Edited by k_angie