Fun (maybe) topics to get our mind off of applications

bar_scene_gambler

I figured we could talk a bit about some various things related to philosophy to help get our mind off of our applications. I was thinking something along the lines of:

1) What books did you read this semester?

2) Book recommendations in your fields of interest

3) What classes are you taking your final semester?

4) Any particular frustrations related to your department/research/reading/professors that you want to vent about?

5) Are you taking a break from philosophy over Christmas, or continuing with a normal/more intense work load?

6) Any other academic interests, outside of philosophy?

That's all I can think of right now, but if you guys want to add more, I'd happily talk about it. I'll start.

1) Sooooooo many books. I'll just drop my list in:

On the Aesthetic Education of Man - Schiller
The Ear of the Other - Derrida
Human, All Too Human - Nietzsche 
The Stranger - Camus 
The Blue Book - Wittgenstein
Culture and Value - Wittgenstein
Leaves of Grass - Whitman 
Being-In-The-World - Dreyfus 
Critique of Judgment - Kant
Nietzsche's Zarathustra - Higgins 
A Treatise of Human Nature - Hume
An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding - Hume
An Enquiry Concerning the Principles of Morals - Hume
Hume's Writings on Economics - Hume
The Cambridge Companion to Hume - Various
Experience and Education - Dewey
Rules for the Direction of the Mind - Descartes 
Discourse on Method - Descartes 
Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations - Stern
Philosophical Investigations - Wittgenstein
Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion - Hume
The History of Natural Religion - Hume
This New, Yet Unapproachable America - Cavell
On the Future of Our Educational Institutions - Nietzsche 
Thus Spoke Zarathustra - Nietzsche 
Being and Time - Heidegger
Unfashionable Observations - Nietzsche 
On the Genealogy of Morals - Nietzsche 
Beyond Good and Evil - Nietzsche 
Alcyone: Nietzsche on Gifts, Noise, and Women - Shapiro 
Nausea - Sartre 
Empiricism and Subjectivity - Deleuze

Plus a bunch of other articles/essays/monographs. Some of these I had to reread for my research.

2) It depends on the area of interest, but in general, I'd recommend Self-RelianceThe Gay ScienceCulture and Value, or Nausea (also, sheepishly, Kant's Critique of Judgment)

3) I'm taking Beginner German II, Advanced Independent Study: Plato's Republic, Advanced Independent Study: Deleuze, Symbolic Logic, Figures/Themes: Nietzsche, and my thesis course.

4) I'm frustrated about some stuff related to the department. There's another major who is going to med-school who I really think should be a philosopher, but I can't really try to talk her out of it. Beyond that, my thesis adviser and I frequently disagree about Nietzsche, which makes my thesis work a bit difficult, even though he's pretty understanding. Also, his recommendation for my Fulbright was lackluster, so I'm worried that he'll write another lackluster recommendation for my applications, despite my insistence that they need to sparkle.

5) I have no choice but to keep up with the current workload. I'm going to be doing thesis research and also trying to do some personal reading on my own (I'd like to read some stuff by Kierkegaard and Kuhn by the end of break).

6) I'm interested in theatre, Eastern religions, and classics, and that's what has pushed me to apply for the Committee on Social Thought. I've inherited a bunch of Norse sagas from the classics department at my Uni, so I'm trying to read through some of those. Outside of that, I love Beckett (especially Waiting for Godot) and Shakespeare and have been working through a series of religious texts steadily since I began my BA (just for curiosity's sake more than anything else). 

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

you seriously read Hume's corpus, Nietzsche's corupus, the Philosophical Investigations, Being and Time, and the Critique of Judgment on top of everything else in the same semester? Even if you are re-reading those, how the hell did you get anything out of them? It seems completely counter-productive to speed through the classics at break neck speed.

you seriously read Hume's corpus, Nietzsche's corupus, the Philosophical Investigations, Being and Time, and the Critique of Judgment on top of everything else in the same semester? Even if you are re-reading those, how the hell did you get anything out of them? It seems completely counter-productive to speed through the classics at break neck speed.

To be fair, I didn't read all of Nietzsche's corpus (which I've read before) and most of Hume's works are quite short (Treatise excepted). Being and Time was done a chapter per week (breaks included) as was the Critique of Judgment. My adviser has had me read at this pace since I started, so I've grown accustomed to reading like that. I've probably read close to 300-400 pages a week every week (though I'm really just guessing, since there's no way to actually estimate without going through all the books I've read). Most of these have been a part of classes this semester, with the exception of the stuff I've had to read for research.

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

400 pages a week is really only a little more than 50 pages a day. Completely doable if you're disciplined about it. 

1. A lot of articles, but no books in their entirety this semester.

2. For analytic phil of mind, Modularity of Mind by Fodor is a fun yet foundational read. Origin of Concepts by Susan Carey is a good cognitive science, psychology, and philosophy mixture--available on Oxford University Press Online if your library has access to it. It's not generally considered analytic, but I'm also a big fan of Ideas 1 by Husserl. 

3. Still not sure.

4. Everything is going well but the thesis. My adviser is really helpful and supportive though. I'm really going to miss my department a lot next year. 

5. I'll maybe take a few days off, and will then focus on finishing my thesis. In I'm usually more productive during break than during the semester.

6. I feel as though when I am interested in other fields, its because I see philosophy in them. 

And here's another question. What is the most controversial philosophical position that you feel sympathy for?

Edited by Philhopeful

I'm having a hard time believing your reading list! I'm with phil519, it seems counter-productive to rush through works that quickly. How can you even talk about so much reading every week? In most of my grad courses we spend an entire 2 hr 45 minute class period on one or two journal articles, or a single chapter of a work. Here are my brief answers: 

(1) I have no idea. Maybe I *should* keep track of what I read, but I don't have a list handy anywhere. Currently reading Joshua Greene's Moral Tribes which is absolutely fantastic. 

(2) If you haven't read Daniel Kahnman's Thinking, Fast and Slow then you should drop whatever you are currently reading and pick it up. That book changed my life. 

(3) A seminar on Aristotle, independent study on social epistemology, and writing my thesis. 

(4) I can't say enough positive things about my department, and I'm not just saying that. We got a really neat crop of people that came in this semester, and I get along with most of them pretty well. I wish there was a bar on campus (or even in the department!), though. 

(5) After I finish my last paper and grade all of these finals, I'll probably take a break until the 1st. I bought an XBOX One, so I imagine I'll have a steady dose of that over the next few weeks in addition to family visiting for the holidays. 

(6) I work for an empirical lab studying synesthesia and perception, and I'm interested in psych and neuroscience generally. 

Edited by MattDest

I mostly lurk here and don't post too often but I think this IS fun, so...

1) Wittgenstein's Tractatus, part of Kant's Critique of Pure Reason, several articles for a general ethical theory class (I've largely shied away from ethical theory but do have some interests in moral philosophy), and Kripke's Naming and Necessity  

2) I'll just name a few from mind and language that immediately come to mind, though I doubtlessly have more: Kripke's Naming and Necessity, just about everything from Putnam's collected papers volume two, Burge's Foundations of Mind as well as Origins of Objectivity

3) I'm on the quarter calendar and haven't settled spring yet, however,this winter I'll be taking a class on Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations, a class on Russell's On Denoting, and a philosophy of science class 

4) No complaints at all. I love my department and wish I could be here longer. 

5) Far from taking a break, I'll be using the time to read some things I've been meaning to get to but never had the chance to yet. I am quite interested in contemporary metaphysics but haven't been able to take any courses in it so I'll likely be reading in that area. 

6) Math, music history, and ethnomusicology (especially gamelan) 

To be fair, I didn't read all of Nietzsche's corpus (which I've read before) and most of Hume's works are quite short (Treatise excepted). Being and Time was done a chapter per week (breaks included) as was the Critique of Judgment. My adviser has had me read at this pace since I started, so I've grown accustomed to reading like that. I've probably read close to 300-400 pages a week every week (though I'm really just guessing, since there's no way to actually estimate without going through all the books I've read). Most of these have been a part of classes this semester, with the exception of the stuff I've had to read for research.

I don't question the possibility of reading that much, I question how much you could begin to understand reading that quickly. Whenever I read Wittgenstein, Heidegger, Hume, Kant, or Nietzsche, I need to read each page 3 or 4 times just to get a basic grasp of what these thinkers are saying. Even then, I would meet with friends and literally go line through line through some of the works you are breezing through. With all that I felt I was going to fast even still. Ah well, perhaps you are just have a quicker cast of mind. Philosophy for me is about learning how to slow my thoughts down and chew over every little bit of things. Quick readings leave my head as fast as they enter it.

Edited by Phil519

hmm well right now im reading mockingjay of the hunger games trilogy...lol. but the stranger by camus was great, as was siddartha by hesse. this semester I read some of foucaults lectures and some of violence by zizek, and a little bit of Nietzsche. also while working on my sample I read a ton in metaethics (one of my professors loaned me an anthology she used in grad skool) so mostly articles.

the only phil class im takin next semester is a perspectives on death and dying class, should be fun...

over Christmas ill be sending in some applications, but other than that no philosophy at all :)

Earlier this week I was awarded a 1300/month stipend to, basically, continue to think for myself. This is actually regardless I go to grad school .

This means I suddenly have more money to apply to schools -- which is in part publicizing my work. A lot of professors will be reading it.

You know I started reading kant critique of pure reason last weekend? I'm only several pages in -- just going through his ideas about space. Which are interesting.

I read slow because I actually think about what he's saying. I read him as an equal, less an idol (ahem) and so think about what he's saying and if I agree with it or not and why or why not. I relate his work to my own and compare and discern and synthesize. It's a slow process but very profound. I admire kant as maybe history's greatest.

Maybe I'm guilty of being a day dreamer, as much as my passion and loyalty for Truth. If you could get a phd indaydreaming I'd have an honorary one by now.

Slow reading has its benefits. I don't just understand, maybe, but internalize. There can also be a long period of 'digestion' that can last long after your finished a piece. I read Nietzsche 'corpus' my first semester but I don't think I began to understand for years later. Especially not before I began studying shelling and hegel.

I certainly don't read philosophical treatise like fiction novels.

Gambler, what book was it where Nietzsche talked about reading and readers? Do you remember?

I think he hates your guts. You should probably change avatars. He's probably starting little earthquakes wherever his corpse is buried.

Gambler, what book was it where Nietzsche talked about reading and readers? Do you remember?

I think he hates your guts. You should probably change avatars. He's probably starting little earthquakes wherever his corpse is buried.

Wow. Just wow. Just wow. Wow...

Dfindley. I really think you should see someone. You have some issues you need to work out. I don't say this to be mean, I say this because I'm genuinely worried about your mental health, and the safety of those around you.

And yet you not only read Schelling, Hegel, and Nietzsche, but self-published a book that makes liberal use of their ideas without having bothered to read the Critique of Pure Reason?

6. I feel as though when I am interested in other fields, its because I see philosophy in them. 

And here's another question. What is the most controversial philosophical position that you feel sympathy for?

Such as? And in terms of your question, I'm not sure what the most controversial philosophical position I feel sympathy for might be, but I do feel some sympathy for Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations. I'm not sure how unpopular it is, but I feel like it's less popular than the Tractatus in more heavily analytic departments.

(5) After I finish my last paper and grade all of these finals, I'll probably take a break until the 1st. I bought an XBOX One, so I imagine I'll have a steady dose of that over the next few weeks in addition to family visiting for the holidays. 

I'm jealous (though I'm a part of the PC master-race, so not too jealous).

I mostly lurk here and don't post too often but I think this IS fun, so...

1) Wittgenstein's Tractatus, part of Kant's Critique of Pure Reason, several articles for a general ethical theory class (I've largely shied away from ethical theory but do have some interests in moral philosophy), and Kripke's Naming and Necessity  

3) I'm on the quarter calendar and haven't settled spring yet, however,this winter I'll be taking a class on Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations, a class on Russell's On Denoting, and a philosophy of science class 

6) Math, music history, and ethnomusicology (especially gamelan) 

1) How is the Tractatus? For some reason, my Wittgenstein class skipped right over it and we started with the Blue Book and went to Philosophical Investigations afterward. 

3) The Investigations are awesome, I hope you enjoy it.

6) Really interesting. I don't know anything about ethnomusicology. Could you elaborate a little on what it is that interests you?

4) I'm frustrated about some stuff related to the department. There's another major who is going to med-school who I really think should be a philosopher, but I can't really try to talk her out of it.

So I'm outing myself as a frequent lurker on the philosophy forums. I was a philosophy/biology major in college and very nearly made the plunge into a PhD program for either philosophy of art or philosophy of bioloy. Insetad, I did my senior research on a species of amoeba that demonstrates biological altruism and am throwing my hat into the ring of epidemiology.

However, as a fellow field-switcher, I have been made curious enough to inquire: why do you think this major should go to graduate school for philosophy, rather than medical school? Your statement also seems to imply that one cannot be a philosopher if the choice is made to go to graduate school - or did you just mean academic philosopher?

So I'm outing myself as a frequent lurker on the philosophy forums. I was a philosophy/biology major in college and very nearly made the plunge into a PhD program for either philosophy of art or philosophy of bioloy. Insetad, I did my senior research on a species of amoeba that demonstrates biological altruism and am throwing my hat into the ring of epidemiology.

However, as a fellow field-switcher, I have been made curious enough to inquire: why do you think this major should go to graduate school for philosophy, rather than medical school? Your statement also seems to imply that one cannot be a philosopher if the choice is made to go to graduate school - or did you just mean academic philosopher?

What I mean is that I honestly believe she has the ability to be a great philosopher, but she doesn't have the time-management skills to actually pursue philosophy with a med-school schedule. She's one of those "brilliant yet fragile" types, so I'm nearly certain that if she goes to med school, she'll stop studying philosophy altogether. And frankly, it would be wrong of me to talk her out of a successful career in medicine for the clusterfuck that is academic philosophy.

If you have talents that would allow you to go into medicine, do it. I'm going into philosophy because it is how my mind works, but medicine would likely be far more lucrative, if you'd be happy doing either.

I did a lot of my reading -around- kant. Class articles and books like 'a very short introduction'.

I guess I was eager to jump into the work of thinkers much more alluring to me as an undergrad. Perhaps it works out for the better -- I am considerably more fascinated with kant now than I had ever been before.

4) I'm frustrated about some stuff related to the department. There's another major who is going to med-school who I really think should be a philosopher, but I can't really try to talk her out of it. Beyond that, my thesis adviser and I frequently disagree about Nietzsche, which makes my thesis work a bit difficult, even though he's pretty understanding. Also, his recommendation for my Fulbright was lackluster, so I'm worried that he'll write another lackluster recommendation for my applications, despite my insistence that they need to sparkle.

How do you know that the Fulbright rec was lackluster?  Isn't it conventional to waive the rights to read letters of rec - or did you have a third party assess it for you, or what?  I ask out of pure curiosity and I guess a little jealousy...I've never seen my letters of rec since we're always told it's best to waive rights.

I waived my rights to read the letters of recommendation, but, when my Fellowship adviser gave me a copy of my paper application, she forgot to take out the copies of the recommendations attached to the last pages, so I got to read what my recommenders had to say about me. The other two recommendations were absolutely amazing. They made me seem like the greatest scholar to have walked the earth, but my thesis adviser's recommendation was pretty vanilla. It talked about how he thought my thesis was innovative and how he thought it was a novel approach to Nietzsche's work, but he barely talked about me and made it seem like I was, as a potential philosopher, rather forgettable. 

2 out of 3 is okay, but 3 out of 3 would be better. I talked to him about it (delicately) and he said he'd work on it, so hopefully that means I'll have three good recommendations.

I'm sure you'll be fine. We're all feeling the same way. I almost broke down today because I can't shake the feeling of total inferiority to other candidates. It'll pass eventually.

Yeah, zizek - take comfort in the fact that everyone (or almost everyone) feels the same way. Try to enjoy the holidays and know that the decisions aren't going to come out for awhile. Once you hit that submit button, you've done all you can for now. 

What do you guys think about me doing a different writing sample for U Arizona? The faculty there aren't really in my main areas of interest, but I'm interested in Hume, so I'm sending an application in. I have a paper on Descartes and Hume's ethics both being rooted in human psychology, but I'm worried that it's too bland. But my other paper is totally outside the faculty members' areas of research, so I hesitate to submit the writing sample that I'm submitting to all of the other programs I'm applying to.