Jerry Saltz article on the costs of an MFA

Yellow Magnet

Great read, Jerry Saltz rocks. I came across this article yesterday and it really helped to put things in perspective. I spent four years in a private art college and racked up over 80,000 in debt, even after a string of generous scholarships. I consider myself very lucky in that my parents have offered to pay for half. My undergraduate experience was invaluable, truly the best four years of my life, and well worth the investment. However, when it comes to the MFA, I refuse to pay for it. I simply can't afford to. I've spent the better part of the last 3 years researching graduate programs and I'm only applying to those that offer full rides, stipends, and work-study/ TA positions. These programs do exist, and although they don't all rank among the "US News World Report top ten", they're still fine programs with fantastic faculty, accomplished alumni, and opportunities abound. 100,000 for an MFA? Maybe if I could realistically make 100,000 a year upon graduation. Not very likely as an emerging visual artist.

Also worth checking out is the article that Saltz referenced- 

http://www.blouinartinfo.com/print/node/989814

Great read, Jerry Saltz rocks. I came across this article yesterday and it really helped to put things in perspective. I spent four years in a private art college and racked up over 80,000 in debt, even after a string of generous scholarships. I consider myself very lucky in that my parents have offered to pay for half. My undergraduate experience was invaluable, truly the best four years of my life, and well worth the investment. However, when it comes to the MFA, I refuse to pay for it. I simply can't afford to. I've spent the better part of the last 3 years researching graduate programs and I'm only applying to those that offer full rides, stipends, and work-study/ TA positions. These programs do exist, and although they don't all rank among the "US News World Report top ten", they're still fine programs with fantastic faculty, accomplished alumni, and opportunities abound. 100,000 for an MFA? Maybe if I could realistically make 100,000 a year upon graduation. Not very likely as an emerging visual artist.

Also worth checking out is the article that Saltz referenced- 

http://www.blouinartinfo.com/print/node/989814

A very smart strategy!

Here is a thread with a list of programs that offer funding.

It has been posted elsewhere but I have reposted once again to make it easier for people to find as there is a ton of info on this forum to navigate.

Another article, this one about median incomes of MFA graduates from the Wall Street Journal. 

http://online.wsj.com/news/article_email/SB10001424052702304402104579149060054918936-lMyQjAxMTAzMDEwMTExNDEyWj

All these articles have really reinforced what I decided about pursuing my MFA... Im not going without at least 75% funding though both external and internal aid.  I know its possible and am willing to reapply to get it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Art students are notorious for either being poor or in huge debt....with little to show for it.  Get healthcare, a 401k or a retirement plan...do something for yourself besides getting into debt.  

The school system's flawed, many art professors are not very good, school is overpriced and job outlook is horrible.  In a field where everything is not there to help, at least help yourself.