Global Health/International Health

Hey. Yes I am interested in Health Management with a global focus, but I have applied to a few schools that just have a generalist Global health degree: Vanderbilt & WashU. I applied to Emory in the Global health department with the community health and development specialization, but, otherwise, I am applying to HPM pograms with the aim of pursuing a concentration or certificate in global health. Which schools are you applying to and what are you looking to concentrate in?

Hey! Those are great! I didn't even know those school's had Global health programs! I should look into them. I'm interested in International Heath systems & Policy. I applied to UW, Columbia, Johns Hopkins, Tulane, GWU for Global Health. And then I applied to Michigan for their HPM program and like you I hope to get a Global health certificate. 

Not everyone is interested in diseases/medicine--which is why an mph in global health is great because its for those whose focus is policy/management/education/community health/etc etc.

Plus most Global Health department have multiple programs and will allow you to focus on your specific interests. Yes it's broad--but that just means you can make it to be whatever you want based on you research interests. 

I think that many MPH programs are broad for a reason. There are too many aspects of public health to just do one specific thing. If you are interested in global health just make sure the school of public health that you attend has an adequate program that fits your specific needs, has research projects that you might be interested in and provides scholarships and funding for international experiences. I think that is most important.

Although I am doing the hospital and molecular epidemiology program at Michigan, I have considered either getting a global health certificate or a certificate in hospital infection and control. I still am undecided. Global health is very interesting and fits in some way the work that I want to do. It's so hard to decide because there are so many options.

Edited by NeurosciMRI

Not everyone is interested in diseases/medicine--which is why an mph in global health is great because its for those whose focus is policy/management/education/community health/etc etc.

Plus most Global Health department have multiple programs and will allow you to focus on your specific interests. Yes it's broad--but that just means you can make it to be whatever you want based on you research interests. 

if you are interested in policy/management just choose the mph in  health policy or whatever that you are interested in . I  interned at the world health organization last summer, and all the staff there advised me to choose a specific track. when you  just have an mph in global health , nobody  knows what exactly you are good at, all of them told me that. i am not saying it's a bad choice . but you gotta know how to market yourself ......

Edited by livenlearn

@neurosiMRI well said & you should consider a global health certificate--I know a lot of people really enjoy it!

@liveinlearn it's not always about "marketing" yourself. I would never enter a program just so I could look good to future employers-I'm going to grad school because I care about an issue and I'm interested in researching said issue. Don't underestimate global health programs, yes they are broad--but honestly so is ever other mph program. And most health policy programs have a U.S. policy focus :/

@neurosiMRI well said & you should consider a global health certificate--I know a lot of people really enjoy it!

@liveinlearn it's not always about "marketing" yourself. I would never enter a program just so I could look good to future employers-I'm going to grad school because I care about an issue and I'm interested in researching said issue. Don't underestimate global health programs, yes they are broad--but honestly so is ever other mph program. And most health policy programs have a U.S. policy focus :/

im sorry if i made it look as if i was underestimating the degree you trying to pursue. that wasnt my intention

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not applying until next semester but can someone give me an idea of how Tulane is with their acceptance rate? Really want to go to their global health development program but at the same time don't want to get my hopes up too high...

Not applying until next semester but can someone give me an idea of how Tulane is with their acceptance rate? Really want to go to their global health development program but at the same time don't want to get my hopes up too high...

Tulane's acceptance rate is 74%.

But honestly don't just rely on acceptance rates because a lot of times they mean nothing. Just apply to school that you are interested in regardless of acceptance rate. I got rejected from tulane which has a high acceptance rate but then I got accepted from GWU which has a 46% acceptance rate. It really just depends on the school and if you match well with the program. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tulane's acceptance rate is 74%.

But honestly don't just rely on acceptance rates because a lot of times they mean nothing. Just apply to school that you are interested in regardless of acceptance rate. I got rejected from tulane which has a high acceptance rate but then I got accepted from GWU which has a 46% acceptance rate. It really just depends on the school and if you match well with the program. 

Thank you! Well Tulane has the perfect program for my interests but I might be switching to UIC as my priority school since it doesn't seem like I can afford Tulane tuition.  Coming from California so I can't afford the out of state tuition of a public school, let alone private. 

Has anyone applied to Harvard SD in Global Health? I'd be interested to know if you've heard anything. 

I received my acceptance letter yesterday from the global health dept to their full-time M.S. program (much to my surprise) so now there are some serious decisions.  To the forum: HSPH was the only PH school I applied to without a ready packaged dual degree option (bit of a whim application) - does anybody know of anybody that has done an HSPH/International Relations school dual degree?  I would really really really appreciate any advice!

I received my acceptance letter yesterday from the global health dept to their full-time M.S. program (much to my surprise) so now there are some serious decisions.  To the forum: HSPH was the only PH school I applied to without a ready packaged dual degree option (bit of a whim application) - does anybody know of anybody that has done an HSPH/International Relations school dual degree?  I would really really really appreciate any advice!

i was going to do a dual degree but with international development. However, i think i'm leaning towards just getting a certificate. 

i was going to do a dual degree but with international development. However, i think i'm leaning towards just getting a certificate. 

yeah - that's what I'm looking at too and weighing the different options/combinations.  I guess it'll probably come down to the financial aid packages.

yeah - that's what I'm looking at too and weighing the different options/combinations.  I guess it'll probably come down to the financial aid packages.

Yeah definitely. I would love to do a dual degree--but I'm worried that it would take me too long to finish/cost too much. Do you have a specific research interest? Or have you decided where you are going yet?

Yeah definitely. I would love to do a dual degree--but I'm worried that it would take me too long to finish/cost too much. Do you have a specific research interest? Or have you decided where you are going yet?

I've been focusing on nutrition and the effects of sustained malnutrition on long-term development (both economic and social) and no, I haven't figured it all out yet.  Still waiting to hear back from idev programs.  Where are you looking/what're you hoping to study/research?

I've been focusing on nutrition and the effects of sustained malnutrition on long-term development (both economic and social) and no, I haven't figured it all out yet.  Still waiting to hear back from idev programs.  Where are you looking/what're you hoping to study/research?

Oh awesome!--I’m interested in the conversation around the role of aid in global health. Specifically, how aid (namely ngos, igo's, ect) has effected public health systems. Thinking about this more makes me wish I also applied to MA programs--I really enjoy interdisciplinary approaches to global health. 

I saw this article posted on the SDN forum about MPH in global health and thought I'd share

http://www.bdkeller.com/2014/02/is-there-a-global-health-bubble-or-should-you-get-an-mph/

Good article--definitely was having this conversation recently. But more related to how this entire field has been professionalized and if we honestly think about the institutions and think tanks that are doing the work, they are designed for the west and the privileged....Which is really disappointing because it leaves out a whole community of people. I mean the very people who are having these conversations are the people who have zero connection to the problems that they are dealing with---and those who are affected by this work don't have access to these institutions and think tanks  :blink: