Funding for dissertation research and travel

hejduk

Looking for funding avenues for dissertation funding, specifically for travel and deployment of survey (including translation into other languages).

My university seems to be lacking resources, so I'm frantically trying to find last minute resources that have a short application window, and can be utilized in a relatively short time frame. 

Where are you trying to do your research? Depending on the where, you could look into IAF, CAORC, or IREX as funding sources. Most of the major deadlines have already passed for things like Fulbright, Fulbright-Hays, and SSRC IDRF. There may be funding available from your professional organization, especially any subgroups it may have.

I need to deploy an online survey in the US, Belgium, and Estonia. I mostly need funding for survey participant recruitment, translation of the survey into Flemish and Estonian, and *possibly* travel to those countries (if needed). 

I've cobbled together some small funds available at my school, but it won't be enough to fund the project. Ultimately, I may have to pay some out of pocket in order to get done in the timeframe I'm seeking.  :(

http://www.irex.org/project/individual-advanced-research-opportunities-iaro comes to mind. Estonia is one of the eligible countries.

http://www.baef.be/documents/home.xml?lang=en for going to Belgium.

BTW, I didn't actually do a google search or anything. I just googled for things I know I've seen in the past. I'm sure your school has some research staff whose job it is to help people find funding. At my university, there's people in the Grad College itself and within the college my department is in who actively do this. They help you search major funding databases and set up alerts and also can give feedback on your application materials. Figure out who these people are at your school and get in touch. Another option would be to contact more senior students in your field and related areas and find out what where they go/went for funding. Again, your professional organization, whether nationally or regionally, will probably also have small funds available, which could be enough to pay for the translation.