Is it too late?

As a transplant from IT outsourcing world, I chose this field to re-invent myself. Got my undergrad degree and 2 months later dropped everything to care for a parent (stroke). Three years later I'm wondering what to do. I read such horror stories about how hard it is to get into grad school. I hate to give up my dream after all my hard work but I'm 55+. Is it too late? And if it is too late, what does one do with an undergrad degree (no SLPA jobs in my state)? I'm considering an alternate route program to become a special ed teacher.

While it's never too late, in my opinion, I would have a couple of other programs to apply to as a back up plan. In my case, I have a teaching credential to fall back on if things don't work out and there are other programs I may apply to as well. What about Special Education, as you said? School counseling and School Psychology are also specialized programs to consider.

• 2 weeks later...

Psychology programs these days take forever to complete and are very expensive, so that might not be the best choice, although special ed is a better suggestion.

How much you need a back up plan, though, depends on your qualifications. Your undergrad degree is in CSD, right? How did you do in it/on the GRE?