taxes???

Guest emma

I have a question...does anyone know how much in taxes we'd have to pay from the stipend? That is, if we get a $23K stipend...how much of that goes to taxes?

Guest Mr Guest

Google "tax estimator". This will tell you your federal income tax liability. Then subtract the full stipend*0.0765 to take medicare and ss taxes into account. Then you have to look up the state income tax for where you are going.

I've been doing some reading and it looks as if TAs are usually exempt from federal income and FICA taxes. :D

Could you say a little more about this? I thought we had to pay both state and federal income tax on the stipend. I hope you're right though, as it would be worth a few thousand dollars to me :D

Guest Mr Guest

Just Google something along the lines of "teaching assistant tax exempt" and "teaching assistant fica exempt"

There's a lot of info out there

Guest Mr Guest

I think we still have to pay state tax unless that particular state has also writen a TA exemption into its tax code. I can't find any info on that for NC.