hows the competiton for Meng program at top schools?

theleviathan

Hi guys

im an senior in aerospace engineering at UIUC.

I recently became really interested in those one-year master of engineering programs at Northwestern, Princeton, MIT,Upenn and the like.( in Civil or mechanical eng)

the reason might be that i found out im not really the research type guy. 

can anyone tell me how fierce is the competition for those self-funded meng programs? i think it would be at least easier to get in than those phd and master with funding, am i right?

my gpa is only 3.5. and is it easier to get a job with a Meng?

• 1 month later...

To be a successful applicant to these programs, you will need to show that you have a specific goal in the engineering industry. To prove this normally involves some mix of engineering research, job and project experience. If you have this experience and can tell a great story via the SOP, you will have a great shot at these programs, especially coming from UIUC. - Admissions Advice Online

• 1 month later...

Rock the GRE and u have a shot at MENG programs.

I know a guy with internship but no research experience who got into Cornell MENG in CS ( Computer Science ).

They receive about 650 applications and accept the top 140 which usually results in an incoming class of 100 for the Ithaca program. They aim to poduce an incoming class of 30 students for the NYC program. So admision rate I would guess hovers around 20%.

Just apply and u never know.

• 2 weeks later...

To be a successful applicant to these programs, you will need to show that you have a specific goal in the engineering industry. To prove this normally involves some mix of engineering research, job and project experience. If you have this experience and can tell a great story via the SOP, you will have a great shot at these programs, especially coming from UIUC. - Admissions Advice Online

thx, and seems i got a great summer program this year, a 8-week offshore geotechnics research internship in singapore, that would be a lot to write about in the SOP.

BTW, for meng applicants, do i need to contact profs during application like those applying for phd?