MSIS or MSLS Fall 2014 Applicants

dhthunder

Anyone applying for a Masters in Information Science or Library Science with the intent to start grad school next Fall? I personally have applied to UNC's MSIS program and am anxiously awaiting a response from them! I've heard that they don't give you an answer anywhere from mid-Feb to late-March, but of course, earlier is always better since UNC's my number one school (and also my home undergrad institution) and I've got a couple of life decisions waiting on these grad school decisions...

Edited by dhthunder

Hey, dhthunder. I applied for the PhD program at SILS UNC because the research there is so intriguing to me, and I've heard of UNC since my childhood because of the NCAA and NBA all stars. It seems like the decision will not arrive until late March, I suppose.

Good luck to all of us!

Hey, dhthunder. I applied for the PhD program at SILS UNC because the research there is so intriguing to me, and I've heard of UNC since my childhood because of the NCAA and NBA all stars. It seems like the decision will not arrive until late March, I suppose.

Good luck to all of us!

Hello Timokratia, nice to meet you! SILS is an amazing place! And UNC's campus is absolutely beautiful. Like I said, I'm an undergrad there right now. Good luck to you too!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still getting some of my applications in but I'm applying for my MLS with a focus in archiving.  I graduated in 2012 and have been working for the New York Public Library and New-York Historical Society in the mean time.

I'm still getting some of my applications in but I'm applying for my MLS with a focus in archiving.  I graduated in 2012 and have been working for the New York Public Library and New-York Historical Society in the mean time.

Hi efs001, I'm also into archival programs, and UNC surely has a great concentration in archives! 

New York has a great collection of archival resources, right? And NYU GSAS has a MA program in archives. Still wandering if I should apply for NYU. What do say about that program? Thanks!

Hi efs001, I'm also into archival programs, and UNC surely has a great concentration in archives! 

New York has a great collection of archival resources, right? And NYU GSAS has a MA program in archives. Still wandering if I should apply for NYU. What do say about that program? Thanks!

Some of my co-workers have done the NYU program and have wonderful things to say about it.  I personally am not really planning on staying in NYC.  I'm from where the Midwest meets the Northeast, went to school in Texas,  and I've always found myself feeling more connected to the Midwest which is where a lot of the schools I'm applying to are.  If you're interested in living in NYC, I'd say go for NYU.  Pratt is definitely the best LIS program in NYC though.  A lot of the faculty work for the best library institutions in the city including the New York Public Library.  

was it difficult to get a job at the new york public library?  i am thinking of applying for an MLS for fall 2014.  I'd like to get some experience in a libary.  I wouldn't mind volunteering either but looked online and throught i saw that the volunteering, internship and job positions required that the applicant already be a student in a LS program?

Some of my co-workers have done the NYU program and have wonderful things to say about it.  I personally am not really planning on staying in NYC.  I'm from where the Midwest meets the Northeast, went to school in Texas,  and I've always found myself feeling more connected to the Midwest which is where a lot of the schools I'm applying to are.  If you're interested in living in NYC, I'd say go for NYU.  Pratt is definitely the best LIS program in NYC though.  A lot of the faculty work for the best library institutions in the city including the New York Public Library.  

are employment decisions affected by what school the MLS comes from?  I was thinking of applying to the CUNY Queens program because it is a lot less expensive and I already have a graduate degree from a top university.

are employment decisions affected by what school the MLS comes from?  I was thinking of applying to the CUNY Queens program because it is a lot less expensive and I already have a graduate degree from a top university.

All of the librarians at the New-York Historical Society went to different grad school programs (both in the NYC area and out of state) including CUNY Queens.  NYPL did have a lot of archivists who went to Pratt but there were archivists from other schools.  But I only know about the Archives and Manuscripts division.

All of the librarians at the New-York Historical Society went to different grad school programs (both in the NYC area and out of state) including CUNY Queens.  NYPL did have a lot of archivists who went to Pratt but there were archivists from other schools.  But I only know about the Archives and Manuscripts division.

Does it matter if the program is an MLIS or MLS program?   CUNY has an MLS program and Pratt has an MLIS program.  I understand what the differences are.  I'm just curious if anyone has insight as to whether a degree from Pratt is really that much more useful than a degree from CUNY.  The cost difference is extreme and I really do not want to get further in debt if it is not necessary.  Any additional info would be great!  FYI, I am interested in being a law librarian.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi! I applied this spring to UNC's MLS program, Maryland's MLS program, and Washington's MLIS program - all for Fall 2014. I was accepted at UNC, and just got an email today from UMaryland saying that their College of Information Studies had recommended me for admission to their Graduate School. I was surprised by both UNC and Maryland as I had understood I wouldn't hear until March. I'm still waiting on Washington, and on financial aid for all three schools. 

I moved to Durham 5 years ago to attend Duke Divinity School for a Masters of Divinity. Already living in the Triangle (with NC registration/driver's license) is just one more reason why I'm leaning towards UNC at the moment. That being said, I'm waiting for my financial aid package before I make any decisions.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied for 3 Canadian MLIS programs,Mcgill, Western and UBC, and was accepted by all of them. Now I'm struggling with the decision, hope anyone who are from those programs or know something about them could give me some advice.

Edited by flyingwind

I got my third and last acceptance yesterday. I was accepted to Drexel, Syracuse and UW. Drexel is within commuting distance, so I will be able to take some classes on campus. And they offered me Dean's Fellowship, so they are the cheapest so far - mind that I am an international student and things like "in-state tuition" are not an option for me. I am still waiting to hear from Syracuse regarding any scholarships. And I am going to their accepted students reception next weekend, hope it will help me make up my mind. Anybody else going?

It's going to be a hard decision, I really like all these programs... I sort of hoped they will make the decision easier for me by not accepting me everywhere :)

UNC just confused the hell out of me.  They first told me I had withdrawn my application, then 5 minutes later that my decision.  After a heart attack and a phone call to make sure, I got into UNC!!

Hey there! 

I have been accepted to Drexel, San Jose, Pratt, Buffalo, and Denver. 

I am seriously considering Denver, Drexel, and Buffalo. Buffalo's much cheaper (NY resident) but the lowest ranked and its ALA accreditation is on probation. I really want to go to Denver but as I already have (a lot) of student loan debt from undergrad I am nervous to take out much more money. They gave me a decent scholarship, but it is nerve wracking.... 

Any suggestions/insights/other students looking at these programs? Specifically worried about the ability to gain experience when in school. I am going in with nothing library specific so this is incredibly important!

Edited by cheinbach32

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, all. So interesting to see/hear where everyone has applied and is getting in! I live in NYC and I've been accepted to Pratt, Palmer, and Drexel. Did anyone else notice that both Palmer and Pratt are now listed as conditionally accredited? That kind of freaks me out. I had previously been strongly leaning towards Pratt, but now I find myself considering Drexel more and more. Does anyone have any thoughts between the two? I guess ultimately there's no horribly wrong decision, but... gulp! 

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!  I got into the MLS program at Indiana University and I will begin this fall.  I see that so many of you applied to at least three schools and I only applied to IU - thank goodness I got in!  

I plan to specialize in Digital Libraries and I'm still on the fence about adding a dual masters in Folklore/Ethnomusicology.  Anyone out there going to IU this fall? Anyone considering one of the dual programs?

Edited by ChasingZora