MFA admission rate question

JohnHop333

I personally think a safety school is a good idea if one sincerely needs a break from whatever theyre doing, be it career direction etc... sometimes that safety school can give you a nice financial package or another unexpected advantage. 

I actually agree with what others have posted.  I don't think applying to a safety school is a bad idea, but would only apply to a "safety school" if you were truly interested in their program and would matriculate if given the opportunity.  A couple things to consider about a school that accepts just about everyone is what is the graduation rate and how long does it take the average student to graduate?  Also, what is the caliber of work and background of your potential classmates?

I discussed this very subject with a friend of mine a while ago who taught art and design in Boston as I was teaching at the Community College of Vermont.  Both of us found the students to be very uneven in their interest, educational background, and talent.  Few finished their respective programs.  I mention this because you will be spending a lot of time learning and exchanging ideas from your classmates.

As an aside, I am putting off my application to MFA programs for a year so as to do more research and build a better portfolio.  Also, I want to be in a better financial position than I am in currently.

Good Luck!