theoretical framework, is it obligatory

HifaMo

Hi,

I wonder whether the theoretical framework is obligatory or not. I mean should every research paper, especially M.A. Papers, have a theoretical framework? or does it depends on the nature of the thesis?

If it depends, are research papers with a theoretical framework better than those without?

Thank you

I think there's some confusion about what a theoretical framework is. I'll give you my thoughts and hopefully others will add their voices as well.

Everything you write, say, do, or perceive has a theoretical framework.

So, you already have a theoretical framework for your paper - but you might not know what it is, or you might not see it because you assume that it's not there. The key is to start to think about what theory, what ideas, are influencing how you think about your topic. Those are your theoretical framework. Perhaps you want to add more ideas to that framework, to change the ones you are using, or to explain why you are using the ideas you have chosen. That's one way to make your theoretical framework more visible in your paper.

Or you could take some ideas that you have read about and apply them to your paper, and see what happens. What does it look like when you look at your paper topic through the ideas (the theoretical framework) of Marx, of Foucault, Bourdieu, Latour, Geertz, Boas, etc? That's another way to 'have' a theoretical framework in your paper.

Also, What program are you studying in? Do you have advisors you can talk to about this? Are you usually writing your papers in English or only this one time? Are you studying anthropology?

Also, What program are you studying in? Do you have advisors you can talk to about this? Are you usually writing your papers in English or only this one time? Are you studying anthropology?

I really appreciate your help.

In fact, this is a B.A. research paper. This is my first time in writing a research paper. I am majoring in cultural studies.

Yes I do have a supervisor but my university is different from yours :D.

Edited by HifaMo

Okay, hang on. A BA research paper, and especially your first BA research paper, is a totally and completely different beast than graduate level work. Since this is a graduate school forum, I think everyone assumed (and rightly so) that you were a grad student in anthropology. While all the advice that's been given is true- all papers have a theoretical framework, and Canis gave you some interesting theoretical lenses through which to think about your topic - I highly doubt you need any of that in this type of paper. That type of framework is really only possible if you've had at least a basic anthropological theory class first. As this is your first research paper, EVER, you really don't need to discuss theory at such a serious level, I'd imagine. It sounds like you have a really great topic, a topic that could be at home in a graduate level program, so give yourself major props for that! You will be fine, so don't worry so much! Just try to tie your research paper to the other readings you've read for the course as much as you can, and that is probably all the theory you need. I'd imagine that the professor is only expecting you to pull in outside materials specific to your particular topic and not outside theory. I also know that in multi-year courses at my undergrad institution, professors knew when someone was a freshman vs. a senior anthro major and considered their work based on level as much as possible.

But, I found that, even though it can be intimidating, if you reach out to professors or TAs they will tend to be very enthusiastic to help. You sound like a smart and ambitious person, and I would urge you not to be afraid to send an e-mail asking a professor to clarify what's required in this assignment and even expressing that you're a little nervous because this is your first ever research paper. You can even reach out to an older student in the class. When I was a junior anthro major, a freshman in one of my classes had the exact same issue as you - it was her first research paper and she wanted advice on how to approach it. Since I spoke in class and obviously knew the subject well, she came and asked me for some advice. I was happy to guide her and she ended up getting an A.

So to summarize-
1. don't take any of the advice that's been offered so far. It's all superb advice but probably way too advanced for you and the goals of the paper right now.
2. You're already on the right track. Tie your ideas to course readings and you'll be fine.
3. Don't be afraid to ask a TA, professor, or fellow student for some advice!

And, if you have more questions, feel free to message me if you want. I'd be happy to read a draft of your paper and give you advice on it if you want and if that is allowed by your prof. (Sometimes undergrad papers are not supposed to have any outside editors or input).