Politely declining informal invitations to visit?

Canis

How do you politely decline an informal invitation to visit?

I keep having great email exchanges with professors, potential POIs at all of the PhD programs I'm applying to. However, they repeatedly say that they're excited about my work, and encourage me to apply, and hope that I can come visit - and when I do they would arrange meetings for me with other faculty as well.

However, I'm already spending over $500 just applying to these schools, and all of that is on credit cards. Coming out of an unfunded MA program (they don't fund anyone in this program) - I have no money, I actually have negative money. A lot of negative money.

So, how do I politely decline these invitations to visit and meet. My instinct is to be honest and write something like:

I do wish I could visit, however the high cost of education means I am unable to do so for the moment. However, if that should change I will be in touch about meeting.

Any advice from those who have dealt with this?

Something like that would be good. Many PhD programs will provide funding for you to visit, so I think this is a polite way to ask about that without directly asking for money to cover your travel expenses (it's still possible to be polite and directly ask for money, but I would also write something like you did).

I definitely second the idea of skyping with professors! I think meeting my POIs face-to-face made a huge difference in how my application will be viewed and how well I know each program and POI. It will also show that you are sincere in your desire to meet with them and are willing to work around problems (in this case financial) to do so.

I would not even mention the inability to afford a visit and just go straight to arranging a Skype chat. If they keep pushing for an on-campus interview, then I would bust out the finances card, but not until then. I guess I prefer to focus on the positives.

I would not even mention the inability to afford a visit and just go straight to arranging a Skype chat. If they keep pushing for an on-campus interview, then I would bust out the finances card, but not until then. I guess I prefer to focus on the positives.

My reason of playing the finance card is assuming the OP wants to visit the school. In the OP's shoes, if given the choice between a Skype call and an in-person visit, I'd go with the visit, unless I could not afford it. So, I would prefer to push for the paid visit and if the school can't afford it, then I'd settle for the Skype chat. 

I think both perspectives make sense, depending on the field. In my field, Anthropology - speaking honestly about class, the cost of education, and so forth doesn't present any issues (and I wouldn't want to study in a program where it did). In some 'hard' sciences, schools might respond with a paid visit (not in Anthro, unfortunately) - but in other disciplines, 'professionalization' might be threatened by the perception of poverty as a negative characteristic.

I really appreciate all the advice and think this will be a helpful thread for future applicants.

I agree with the above comments, I think you should mention both points. Perhaps you should mention Skype as an alternative but note that you would ideally like to meet in person. I agree with you Canis, and in my experience, anthro and other social science department members are acutely aware of external factors, class, etc, and thus should not be surprised, but rather, motivated to accommodate your needs. I've always found it ironic in anthropology (and academia), we are taught to analyse and be aware of underlying factors of circumstance, yet often the needs of the students are not considered and are actually suppressed to maintain what's expected at all costs. 

I'm not suggesting that every school should unreasonably coddle their students or applicants, but if they reached out to you, they should theoretically be open to negotiation on the matter! 

Best of Luck! Keep us updated. I'm applying overseas so this thread is a big help. 

On a lighter note, another benefit of Skype is that you'll only have to purchase a suit-jacket/top... unless you have to get up for whatever reason.  :ph34r:  

Also, try not to make your room abnormally super-cool looking. (Yes, we're speaking academically here) Just choose a quiet, well-lit place that is organized but not so vacant/white-washed as to resemble a prison cell. Thankfully, the purpose of the interview is your interaction with your professor and vice-versa, so some of the pressure's off.