MFA Program Questions

whit92

Hello,

I hope to be accepted into a MFA program in the near future. However, I am concerned that schools will frown on my lack of writing experience. Although I will be graduating with an English degree in 2015, I still don't believe that my writing samples will get me into a great program. What MFA programs accept applicants like me who have not written stories their whole lives? Or, should I just settle for lower-tier programs? Thank you.

So you're going with a creative writing MFA...?

All you need is one good one.

Go check out Dramatica. You can whip out something halfway decent in 30 days using its structure guidance (but you're gonna have to really push yourself to do it) and then give yourself another 30 or so days for revisions, editing, etc.. Just pay someone to do the final edit for you (check references) and you too can have a nice shiny "story" worthy of an application.

• 1 year later...

Not everyone who applies to MFA programs has a large body of work outside of what is contained within their application.  I've written poetry for over a decade, but the only poems that matter to the application committee are the poems held within the writing sample.

If I were you, I would focus all your creative energy and love into one story - check what schools interest you and see how many pages they allow for a writing sample.  You can tailor your submission story to fit within that boundary.

I would suggest giving yourself more than 30 days to perfect a writing sample.  I personally took months on mine, because a first draft needs to be forgotten a little bit before attempts to edit can be fruitful.  It took me weeks of edits just to get my Statement of Purpose and Diversity Statement prepared - not to mention revising my CV and realizing one school required a separate document as a Teaching Philosophy Statement.  When you apply, give yourself more time than you expect to need - you just might need it.  :)