Anthropology Results 2014

Canis

i love you guys. you are really so helpful and kind. it's just that my life conditions are not really stable and actually very frustrating. my country is killing me and i want to get out of here. and besides being a wonderful (or so i thought) student i don't really have any skills or anything that can let me out of here (hence the joys of being an engineer and findings jobs almost everywhere). i am not dying about this process, this is my third time really but i just want to come up with a solution. of course this is not the end of the world but i feel like i am unable to move forward.

thanks everyone for support.

Colorless - this would be a great time to submit applications for PhD programs in Scandinavia. Many of them have a March 1st deadline, they're all fully funded, they support you as you move your family with you, they even give you time off if you have a new baby, and the quality of life is greater than the US overall. Those might be a good way to put in some back up applications at this stage in the process.

I decided that if I get rejected from UCSD, I'm going to send my POI a polite email saying "If it's alright to ask, why was I rejected? Would it be worth it for me to apply again next year? This program was my top choice, and I am willing to do whatever is needed to get in."

I definitely know what you mean about feeling like you are stuck and can't move forward. My fiance has his BS in mechanical engineering, but the job market has been so stagnant that he hasn't found anything and instead is working in food service. 

I wish I knew more about the process of settling in a new country. I am assuming that you are not living in the US, since you mentioned applying to US schools. I do know a guy who came to the US from France. He got a job here and was granted a work visa. You might also have success applying to an undergraduate program in the US, I know that a lot of the undergrad programs here give special considerations to international students. Of course this would be a huge pain since it would be back tracking, but it might be worth it in the long run.

Other than that I can't think of anything. I wish I could help you more! :(

I think it may be best to, rather than focus on the rejection in your email, focus on areas of growth. Maybe say that while you were disappointed with the result, you wondered if POI had any suggestions or comments to not only work on your application for next year but to also further your development in the field. Try to put a positive spin on it, even though you are bummed.

I think it may be best to, rather than focus on the rejection in your email, focus on areas of growth. Maybe say that while you were disappointed with the result, you wondered if POI had any suggestions or comments to not only work on your application for next year but to also further your development in the field. Try to put a positive spin on it, even though you are bummed.

Good idea!

Good idea!

You were probably going to do this anyway, but be sure to express gratitude for their guidance during the process and something along the lines of, "I do hope we have an opportunity to work together in the future," or some such.  

this is only IF you get rejected -- you could very well get in and this is all a moot point. :) 

this is only IF you get rejected -- you could very well get in and this is all a moot point. :)

I really hope so! It's been snowing here the past two days. I would be very happy to move to San Diego at the end of the semester. 

And, you know, obviously I want to study there and become a famous and fabulously wealthy archaeologist (haha). But right now I am liking the idea of sunny California more and more!

You were probably going to do this anyway, but be sure to express gratitude for their guidance during the process and something along the lines of, "I do hope we have an opportunity to work together in the future," or some such. 

In other words, this:

phd072508s.gif

Have Chicago acceptances/rejections gone out across the board? I've seen a few of each but I still haven't heard anything.

I've only see that one that went up. A phone call from a POI. I haven't heard anything either.

In other words, this:

phd072508s.gif

OMG so true! I realized I made a slight error in regards to a paper my POI asked to see, and I agonized over whether or not to email him for so long last night. I even asked both of my academic advisors for their thoughts on whether or not I should email him. 

Just found out I got rejected from Harvard via an email from my POI. The archaeology applicants who were accepted have already been notified, I don't know about the other subdisciplines. Sorry guys :(

HAHAHA then my fifth rejection is on the way. That's been a wonderful day.

Just found out I got rejected from Harvard via an email from my POI. The archaeology applicants who were accepted have already been notified, I don't know about the other subdisciplines. Sorry guys :(

Thanks for the info!

Waitlisted by NYU. Apparently they took 10 (across the four disciplines) out of 300 applicants.

Do you know whether these 10 people have already been notified? Because I also need to be put out of my misery! 

Have Chicago acceptances/rejections gone out across the board? I've seen a few of each but I still haven't heard anything.

First post from a long time lurker! I doubt Chicago is done announcing acceptances. I interviewed last week and was told that we will hear end of this week at the earliest, but more likely next week.

Someone had said that they only notified by post??

Last hours of the week. I wish Upenn just sent out something to finish the week. Does anyone know if they will notify next week?

I know that they aren't notifying this week. I spoke to a POI yesterday (they had a snow day) and that it may take a while to make the decision and send everything through channels. I would say mid next week at the absolute earliest unless it is coming directly from a POI

I know that they aren't notifying this week. I spoke to a POI yesterday (they had a snow day) and that it may take a while to make the decision and send everything through channels. I would say mid next week at the absolute earliest unless it is coming directly from a POI

Upenn is my last chance but I highly doubt anything will happen. Meeh.

Coba, do you know if they only interviewed finalists?

I don't know if they interviewed all finalists, sorry. I do know their "short list" wasn't particularly short, so it's entirely possible they didn't interview everyone.