Anthropology Results 2014

Canis

Ahh, okay. Such a bummer! Thanks for the information though! Still haven't heard anything. :mellow:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! But who knows? You might have gotten waitlisted and someone might give up their spot. You never know. And would you be willing to pay your own living expenses in NY? :/

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! But who knows? You might have gotten waitlisted and someone might give up their spot. You never know. And would you be willing to pay your own living expenses in NY? :/

You could be right! As for paying my own expenses, I wouldn't be willing to do that... I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't before I started this whole venture. As much as I didn't want to, I'd probably pump out the MA and try again in a couple of years. It's beginning to look like that will happen. :unsure:

You could be right! As for paying my own expenses, I wouldn't be willing to do that... I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't before I started this whole venture. As much as I didn't want to, I'd probably pump out the MA and try again in a couple of years. It's beginning to look like that will happen. :unsure:

Yeah, I wouldn't accept a fellowship without a stipend, especially in New York. And you know, you're worth a full fellowship and a great program. I hope you hear some great news soon!

The reason CUNY accepted so few is that they're now giving a $25k/ 5 year package to every incoming student. So they probably have 13 of those to give for anthro this year. They're trying really hard to get people to finish more quickly by funding better. But honestly $25k in NYC is like $15k anywhere else.

Before they started giving out these $25k packages to every student, almost 1/2 the cohort was unfunded. Currently students are teaching 4-5 classes a year for their support - but they're cutting that back to 2 classes. If you get one of the fellowships you're set for 5 years at CUNY - but as a result they're dramatically cutting back admissions.

I got my MA at CUNY and was actually discussing this with a current student in the anthro PhD program there today.

I can also tell you that CUNY's grad student union is awful because it doesn't exist. It's all under PSC-CUNY, the faculty union, and grad students get totally shafted. They're fighting as hard as they can, but they are abused and used as contingent adjunct labor in a really awful way with very few rights. Hopefully the situation will be a bit better with these new funding packages.

Yeah Canis. I met a CUNY PhD student at the AAAs, and she was telling me about the situation and how she has a lot of debt because she can't really afford to live on what they pay their students. She also mentioned they were going to admit so few students because of the funding package.

I guess knowing that might make the decision for some easier.

It's a wonderful department - the faculty are amazing and some are at the top of their area. But historically the funding has been terrible - and students have had to work so much they don't have time for much else, while still being on food stamps.

Now, the funding packages are better for sure - so that's a big improvement - but I've spent a while living in NYC and it's only getting more expensive here every day. The average studio apartment is at LEAST $1300 a month. If you're lucky and you find shared housing you can make it, I was paying $360 a month to share a room in a 4 bedroom apartment, but it was 1 hour commute from school.

For the city I would budget minimum $700/month for rent (and that's pushing it and assuming you're sharing a place and living at least 1 hour from school), at least $100/month for your MTA (subway) pass, $15/month internet, $20/month electricity, a few hundred each semester in fees that the don't waive, let's say $600 year.

With a 25k package, that's 2083/month, minus the expenses above that leaves $1198/month for food, books, technology, etc.

It can be done - but rent is the real killer - finding the cheapest rent possible is the only way to survive as a student in the city. And you run the risk of trying to live off of meals you eat when you're out teaching or at school in midtown - where everything is low quality bagels and pizza OR insanely expensive for the high quality stuff. Find cheap rent and ALWAYS bring your food from home, and you might just make it. :)

Great advice Canis! It wouldn't work for me because I'm married and my husband might not get a job straight away, and we wouldn't want roommates... but great advice for those who have more flexibility.

I got into UK this past week, but it's the only school I've heard anything positive from. I got rejected from Indiana on Thursday. If they come through with funding, it'll look more solid for that.

That's great, congrats! What subfield? With which professor would you be working?

I wasn't surprised to be rejected from IU myself. Kentucky is a great school. It's between that and OSU for me now.

The reason CUNY accepted so few is that they're now giving a $25k/ 5 year package to every incoming student. So they probably have 13 of those to give for anthro this year. They're trying really hard to get people to finish more quickly by funding better. But honestly $25k in NYC is like $15k anywhere else.

Before they started giving out these $25k packages to every student, almost 1/2 the cohort was unfunded. Currently students are teaching 4-5 classes a year for their support - but they're cutting that back to 2 classes. If you get one of the fellowships you're set for 5 years at CUNY - but as a result they're dramatically cutting back admissions.

I got my MA at CUNY and was actually discussing this with a current student in the anthro PhD program there today.

I can also tell you that CUNY's grad student union is awful because it doesn't exist. It's all under PSC-CUNY, the faculty union, and grad students get totally shafted. They're fighting as hard as they can, but they are abused and used as contingent adjunct labor in a really awful way with very few rights. Hopefully the situation will be a bit better with these new funding packages.

I believe they said only 5 fully funded with Stipend but I know it wasn't the whole group of 13.

In case it is of interest to anyone, University of Toronto anthro admitted 21 students across the fields, and are expecting a cohort of around 14 to attend. I met Dr. Janice Boddy (my potential supervisor) - total fan girl syndrome!

I believe they said only 5 fully funded with Stipend but I know it wasn't the whole group of 13.

One thing that Grad Center does, also, is admit students who can pay their own way. So, they will ask you if you can afford to just pay, and historically have even made admission offers to people because they knew that student wouldn't need any aid. So, it's possible that those other students have other scholarships, grants, or just come from money. Or they expressed a willingness to go into crazy debt...

One thing that Grad Center does, also, is admit students who can pay their own way. So, they will ask you if you can afford to just pay, and historically have even made admission offers to people because they knew that student wouldn't need any aid. So, it's possible that those other students have other scholarships, grants, or just come from money. Or they expressed a willingness to go into crazy debt...

Couldn't you conceivably take debt the first year but apply for fellowships and grants this fall and get funding for next year? I know this sounds risky, but I was just throwing it out there. Also, what are the chances that after working with the faculty for the year on loans, that you would be considered for departmental funding the following year?

Couldn't you conceivably take debt the first year but apply for fellowships and grants this fall and get funding for next year? I know this sounds risky, but I was just throwing it out there. Also, what are the chances that after working with the faculty for the year on loans, that you would be considered for departmental funding the following year?

I can't speak to the second, but that was basically my game plan for my first year of my MA. It was presented by my undergrad advisors as, it's a shite solution but it gets your foot in the door. I did manage to score funding that paid for all but a couple hundred dollars, which was great. Actually, that's how most people in my program got by first year: loans first year, then TA-ship/RA-ship/job or funding. It's conceivable, but obviously a much less-than-ideal situation.

I was wrong here is what they said for what it's worth "have 9 fellowships with full tuition and a stipend of $25,000/year for 5 years, with one course of teaching per term in years 2-4; additionally, we have 4 fellowships that are tuition-only for 5 years.   "

In case it is of interest to anyone, University of Toronto anthro admitted 21 students across the fields, and are expecting a cohort of around 14 to attend. I met Dr. Janice Boddy (my potential supervisor) - total fan girl syndrome!

Quick question: is this for the PhD and/or Master's programs?

Great idea for an MA, but CUNY doesn't fund anthro MAs anyway - but for a PhD, no way. There's next to no chance of a real job after an anthro PhD anyway, taking any debt to get one is a pretty rotten idea. There is a school out there who will offer a funded position if you keep trying.