Writing sample -- sources?

anthroflea

I'm sorry if this has been discussed already. I couldn't find anything though. I still have two PhD applications to finish up. One of them asks for a relatively short writing sample. The paricular POI does research in a similar area as I did for my MA thesis. So I am planning on submiting a few pages of my thesis. On the bottom of the last page I put down my thesis itself as the source (it's been published by the university). 

Unfortunately though, there are a looooot of people I am citing just in the short little excerpt. Now I wonder whether I need to add a works cited page? The thing is that the works cited page might end up being pretty long.So it would cut down on the space I have for actual text. 

I am tempted to just leave out the works cited. My reasoning is that it is just an excerpt from my thesis which I am citing. 

I am nervous about it though. Since this is a writing sample, I also don't want to "undercite" and seem like I don't know what I'm doing. Has anybody else run into a similar problem? Any suggestions?  :unsure:

I would definitely include the works cited, but I don't think that it needs to count toward the page count. I tend to assume that page counts refer to pages of text and that additional appendices such as catalogs of images or works cited pages aren't included in the count.

I know the feeling mesoarch. My initial gut feeling was not to include one since I technically have a source with all the sources lol.  Archaeostudent has a good point  though. Lets just hope there is not really a  right or wrong! 

Edited by anthroflea

I'm sure it doesn't really matter, honestly. I included in part because I wanted them to have a quick reference to the type of theory I used in my paper. Also because I quoted some of my POIs and so I thought if they quickly skimmed the paper they would be more likely to see their name in the works cited list. But I wouldn't stress about not adding one. I'm sure it's fine.

I also included works cited in writing sample (thesis excerpt). The whole thing actually, because it's a great way for them to assess fit.

Ugh, that's such a good point.  Oh well, nothing to be done about it now.  At least there's plenty of in-text citations if anyone bothers to read the darn thing.

For Archaeology, in my view, the in-text are just as good - you have names and years and you're talking about tenured faculty. I'm sure they'll know what you're referring to!

I've been using a chapter from my MA thesis and haven't included a works cited section.  Hopefully that wasn't a mistake - something new to worry about now!

Same, shoot. I didn't even think about it! :unsure:

I've been using a chapter from my MA thesis and haven't included a works cited section.  Hopefully that wasn't a mistake - something new to worry about now!

Me three….

I don't think it's a problem not to have them (i.e. the adcoms know your original thesis had citations), but there have been some good points out there about why to include them. 

I included the full works cited for my thesis alongside the excerpt I used as a writing sample.  I didn't feel right not including full citations, and I thought that anyone interested in learning more about my research could get a better idea just by going through the (very long) works cited at the end of the submitted chapters.  I also didn't include those pages in the word count, because otherwise it would leave barely any room for anything else!

What about in your SOPs? Did you all do in text citations in your SOP but without a bibliography? Or how did you handle that?

I didn't have any citations in my SOP, but I only spoke of the research done by a couple of archaeologists very broadly, and most people in the field would know their work.  If I'd used more obscure examples I'd probably include a short bibliography at the end.