How to Thank a Texan?

KayOwd

so i've been accepted into a program i will likely end up enrolling in. My roller coaster ride is nearly finished.

The time has come to thank my Referees!

Chief among them is my old Master's supervisor, who just so happens to be a Texas gal..

Being Canadian, it is a bit difficult to decipher the ideosyncracies of a Texan outside of the usual stereotypes, etc. Therefore, i need your help (if you have insight) in choosing a unique gift idea that she would appreciate--something that may remind her of her original home.

as a side note: It is VERY difficult to purchase firearms, so if you were thinking ivory-handled six-shooters that is probably a no go.. :P

Is she no longer residing in Texas? If not, search for a "Made in Texas" gift basket. They sell them with cheese, barbecue sauce, salsa, fresh tortillas, and so on. As someone who grew up in that part of the world then lived away for six years I can honestly say that nothing made me happier than my colleague (a native Texan) who gave me salsa and barbecue sauce that was not available in DC for Christmas.

The gift baskets hit all kinds of price ranges. I am actually going to send some to my referees (also from Texas because that is where I'm heading).

Maybe I'm the only one who has never heard of this custom, and perhaps I've always been terribly rude to my referees in the past :oops:, but is it common for people to thank them with gifts? I mean, I always say 'thank you' and let them know about the results, but a gift almost seems like...a bribe?

bribe (plural bribes)

Something (usually money) given in exchange for influence or as an inducement to dishonesty

I don't think offering a token of appreciation for a favor constitutes a bribe. Had it been such, I probably would have given the gift up front!

I don't think there is an expectation of gifts (perhaps of nice thank you notes but not gifts). For me though, I have long-standing (i.e. 12 years in one case) professional and mentor/mentee relationships with all three who wrote my LORs. (I also know their families so I'm making sure the goodie baskets include things their spouses and children will enjoy too). So, for me at least, the thank you gift is about more than just the letters they wrote. It's about them listening to me, advising me, and generally just being a positive part of my life. They didn't begin our interactions with an expectation of a gift, and the gift in no way compensates them for the time and energy they have given me, but it at least lets them know that I recognize their efforts and appreciate it.

^pretty much said it.

my other referees will get a 'thank you' card. my old super is different. from the very beginning she has gone out of her way to support and mentor me. a thoughtful token of my appreciation for this most recent example of her support and all else that past is the least i can do.

Acceptance or not, a gift and my thanks are coming her way.

ko

Sorry, I was mostly joking about it being a 'bribe', unless you expect it to get you even better letters in future. :wink:

I really just wanted to know if this was some kind of standard practice that I was in the dark about. If you have that kind of relationship with your referees then sure, gifts are always nice, especially if they put a lot of effort into sending out letters for you.

Uh, being a native Texan, I'm pretty sure we appreciate the same sorts of gifts as everybody else. The stereotypes are mostly false for the vast majority of the population. I shot a gun for the second time in my life last year, and that was in Illinois, because I don't know anyone who owns a gun.

• 2 weeks later...
Uh, being a native Texan, I'm pretty sure we appreciate the same sorts of gifts as everybody else. The stereotypes are mostly false for the vast majority of the population. I shot a gun for the second time in my life last year, and that was in Illinois, because I don't know anyone who owns a gun.

You heard it here first, folks... Texans: They're just like any other humans. :D

...but seriously, my grandmother lived in Texas for a while, and she is a terrifying little lady who can shoot guns and is not to be messed with. She's like all the stereotypes only more awesome.

• 2 weeks later...