Citations, SOP (Duke Sample SOPs)

Canis

I'm curious to know if anyone here applied to Duke (I'm guessing yes) - and if so, did you use the sample successful SOPs from their web site as a model for your own?

I ask because based on conversations in another thread I'm wondering how many people here cited work in their SOP?

How many of you had a bibliography for your SOP?

If you cited a few authors, or many?

I'm not applying to Duke, but I'm interested to had what others have to about SOP citations.

I cited two reference in my SOP. For the most part my SOP was about my interests, my background, and my fit in the programs I applied to. Since I'm interested in studying the domestication of crop plants, I felt it important include a a couple sentences about how I define domestication and I cited two authors whose theories on domestication I was building on. So only one paragraph had citations, simply because I felt it important to acknowledge where my ideas were coming from. 

Did you include citations?

Edited by NoSleepTilBreuckelen

I wonder about those applying with more cultural focus and if they approached it differently. My SOPs were different for each school, but average about 1 page of citations in the bibliography for each page of text. I think everyone approaches the SOP differently, my approach was to make specific research proposals for each school

I wonder about those applying with more cultural focus and if they approached it differently. My SOPs were different for each school, but average about 1 page of citations in the bibliography for each page of text. I think everyone approaches the SOP differently, my approach was to make specific research proposals for each school

Wow, an entire full page of citations for each page of the SOP? Am I misreading that? It seems like a lot, even for a regular paper (aside from a lit review). 

As a cultural applicant, I only had about 5 citations for my SOP.  I wanted to give the committee an idea of my potential theoretical orientation and then I also cited a couple different WHO/PAHO reports about my proposed site.  I knew it was important to include some citations, but on the whole I didn't want to get too specific or take up space that could otherwise serve to explain fit or relevant experience.

I'm curious to know if anyone here applied to Duke (I'm guessing yes) - and if so, did you use the sample successful SOPs from their web site as a model for your own?

I ask because based on conversations in another thread I'm wondering how many people here cited work in their SOP?

How many of you had a bibliography for your SOP?

If you cited a few authors, or many?

Of course, they were about the only samples i could find out there  :)

I felt that for social/cultural anthro it was important to add some citations just to show that you know the literature and analyses for your specific research. i added about 5 too but i feel like 2-3 would've been good enough.

I did have a "serious" SOP last year when I applied to social anthropology but it did not work out and I realized that this was not my thing. I am applying to archaeology this year and I stayed within the "personal" range. Everyone I know who got in had really normal SOPs and so I decided not to push it that much. The Duke ones are really good ones though but they were very specific and some POIs I talked did not want detailed SOPs as they knew people's ideas change in time.

I guess it depends on people, POIs, depts and pure chance!

Hey colorless - I'm interested in human/plant interactions in the past, so I was looking for programs that have environmental archaeology or paleoecology labs. I applied to UT Austin, Berkeley, UChicago, NYU, UNT (Environmental Archaeology Program within Geography), Yale (Anthropology/Forestry joint degree program), and the AMNH RGGS program (Comparative Biology). Now that all my apps are in, I think it's about time I create a signature :)

What are your interests? You're archaeology, right?

Edited by NoSleepTilBreuckelen

I was not super enthusiastic about the Duke examples.  My adviser and another professor both said they seemed too specific and not very well written in terms of style or tone.  I was impressed by the technically thorough and theoretically rigorous nature of the proposals, but I tried to find a comfortable point between what Duke encourages and something more elastic and a tiny bit personal, I suppose...

This makes sense - especially if you're applying to programs that accept undergraduates. I'm only applying to programs that require an MA, so I figured it was expected that my statements would be more focused on specific topics. Most of my POIs asked to see my SOP before I submitted it actually - and then gave me feedback to make it even more specific!

To answer the OP, I did not apply to Duke but read the SoPs and decided on a more even mix between research and personal.  

Canis, which programs require an MA?  I did not see that requirement for any of the programs I applied to, but now am wondering if I missed it.  

UMass Amherst, York, University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, London School of Economics, others... all the UK and Canadian programs require an MA - few of the U.S. programs do.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to Duke as well and followed the citation model (probably had 4 in my SOP). Sociocultural @Duke is known for being HIGHLY theoretical so I think its good to show a grasp of the lit.

Edited by Mirabilis