Human Development and Social Policy program

Deegee

Hi has anyone applied to the PhD program in HDSP at Northwestern university for 2014 session? I want to know more about this program and the prospective student profile they are looking for? How important is lab experience? I have a clinical psychology background with school counselling experience and master's dissertation exp but no lab experience...

I applied to this program as well! I have to say I don't know what they are looking for exactly, though I think that the profile of the faculty and current candidates is more focused on the social policy aspect and less so on the cognitive/psych-y side. Many of their grads go on to work in research (e.g., at Mathematica), so I am hoping the lab experience is not that important given my profile and goals. Here's a link to current student profiles: http://www.sesp.northwestern.edu/common/people/students/hdsp/

and some admission stats: http://www.tgs.northwestern.edu/documents/Program%20Statistics%20Files/program-stats-files-2012-2013/H25PH_adm_enr.pdf

Hey Ferd,

Thank you so much for the reply and for the links. I am worried for the lack of lab exp as most other programs stress on it. My other concern is that since this program is more policy focussed they probably value GRE Quant more than other education programs. My verbal is 162 and quant is 153. How about you? Do let me know if you hear anything from this program. Thanks

Hey Ferd,

Thank you so much for the reply and for the links. I am worried for the lack of lab exp as most other programs stress on it. My other concern is that since this program is more policy focussed they probably value GRE Quant more than other education programs. My verbal is 162 and quant is 153. How about you? Do let me know if you hear anything from this program. Thanks

My scores are similar. I actually took the GRE 3 years ago, before the scale change, and got a 770 in quant and a 680 in English. My report from back then indicated this as the 87th and 94th percentile or something. Anyway, when I ordered scores from ETS, they converted those scores to the new scale. Converted, my scores were 161 quant, 165 English, and 5.5 AW. This was the 81st/95th/97th percentile, so my quant score looks weaker now...oh well. I did major in econ and have worked as an analyst, so I'm hoping that helps on the quant side.

Hey Ferd, looks like you have a great profile! I am sure your work experience will more than make up for any weakness in your scores that you think exists. Best of luck! Do let me know when you hear anything from the program and I will do the same.

I also applied to this program.  I come from a higher ed background and looking to work at the intersection of socialpsych and student outcomes. I was also wondering what their typical applicant looks like. 170q, 159v, 4.5a, weak ugrad gpa, strong-ish grad gpa, I think my lors are pretty solid... just have to wait now

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone heard from the program yet? Someone told me that they send an email for interview or something; I am not quite sure.  Any additional information, guys?

Not a peep. I think they move a bit slower than some other programs. I am not expecting to hear from them till late next month

The result search on this forum suggests that we should start hearing by the end of this week or next week at the earliest. I saw an events section on the HDSP webpage which shows a scheduled 'Open House' on the 28th of February for 'prospective students'. I am wondering if this means an interview/visit day for 2014 prospective students or an information session for 2015 prospective students.

Does anyone know if this program conducts interviews or not? I couldnt find much information regarding this.

Hey guys,

I just saw a result posted by someone for acceptance into the HDSP program. If it is someone from this thread then a big congratulations to you! Can you please tell if interviews were conducted for this program? I have not received any information and my application status has not yet changed. Should I still hope for an acceptance or is it that they are just going to post the rejects a little later? Thanks and congratulations again!

I called the program this morning. They said they are "still deciding" but that they should be done very soon. Tried to ask if they had given out some acceptances and were planning to do more, and guy evaded the question, saying something along the lines of "we are still in the middle of all that, can't give you any other info..." Asked about timeline for the wait list, similarly evasive answer, saying we will find out soon. Then he said he recognized my name.

So if anyone else wants to call and try to get some more information, do so and post here. I also saw the acceptance posted on the Results page and have been wondering, but he wouldn't give me a straight answer as to whether they had accepted anyone or if they would accept more. Seems to indicate a different response than the person who was told they were on the wait list and only 8 people had been accepted.... Who knows what to believe anymore!?!?!

I called the program this morning. They said they are "still deciding" but that they should be done very soon. Tried to ask if they had given out some acceptances and were planning to do more, and guy evaded the question, saying something along the lines of "we are still in the middle of all that, can't give you any other info..." Asked about timeline for the wait list, similarly evasive answer, saying we will find out soon. Then he said he recognized my name.

So if anyone else wants to call and try to get some more information, do so and post here. I also saw the acceptance posted on the Results page and have been wondering, but he wouldn't give me a straight answer as to whether they had accepted anyone or if they would accept more. Seems to indicate a different response than the person who was told they were on the wait list and only 8 people had been accepted.... Who knows what to believe anymore!?!?!

I wonder why there's such a lack of transparency, especially when similar programs are already further along communicating decisions. My thinking is that most/all acceptances are probably out, and they are struggling with a wait list. I'm counting this one out for me as a rejection...though I did email the program and will post any new information here!

I don't understand the purpose of programs refusing to be more transparent at this stage in the game either. The Learning Sciences program (the other Ed PhD program at Northwestern) was forthcoming with information about the timeline over the phone and in virtual info sessions. I didn't apply to either program, but I certainly appreciated being given honest information. If the timeline is similar to Learning Sciences, it would seem that they have already interviewed and notified admits. Plus, the message on the results page seems fairly reliable since it allegedly came directly from the department chair. Also, sometimes smaller programs don't have a waitlist because they are only allowed a maximum # of offers (not just based on funding but on the total # of applications they received). If someone declines, they don't always get to offer to someone else because they have to maintain selectivity for their rankings. It sucks, but it's true.

Agree that they probably gave out all the acceptances, esp given the quote from the results page saying only 8 accepted. I figure right now they are finalizing the wait list, which is why I didn't get a straight answer. Although if that is the case, I don't know why he couldn't just say so.

Hi guys!

I just called up the program and they said the same thing as above that the applications are still under review and we should expect to hear something by the end of this week. I am confused between this and the post on the result page. I wonder if acceptances can still go out or only the rejection emails will be sent out by the end of this week.

Hi guys!

I just called up the program and they said the same thing as above that the applications are still under review and we should expect to hear something by the end of this week. I am confused between this and the post on the result page. I wonder if acceptances can still go out or only the rejection emails will be sent out by the end of this week.

Ha, I wonder if they are thinking "Damn that grad cafe!" as they get a bunch of requests for updates...proving the value of transparency! Thanks for keeping us posted. End of this week is coming pretty soon, I can handle that wait!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I too got the rejection letter. Thanks to the prompt updates on grad cafe I got to know of decisions being sent out. I had stopped checking my online application status at Northwestern completely. Looks like my PhD applications would not workout anywhere this year. Now I am going to apply for some Masters program and do other things to strengthen my PhD applications next time.

Congratulations all all of you who made it this year!