Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

Hang in there, Ianfaircloud.  You're a quality applicant and I know that this is slightly ridiculous thing to say, given the crap shoot that is graduate admissions, but I really do feel confident that you'll get in somewhere.

Very nice of you to say this!  I'll certainly post any good news.

I just declined a funded offer from Loyola, hope that helps one of you!

I hope it helps me! Not to sound selfish or anything...

Seriously though, thanks for the info!

No.  And I will admit here, I'm very, very, very disappointed.  This was basically my top choice, and I also thought I had the best chance of being admitted there.  My letter writers had very close connections.  It was the best fit, etc.  So I now have 11 presumed rejections.  Very depressing!!

I'm very sorry to hear that you feel that way.  I hope and expect you do get in somewhere, because (based on your description) you sound like an excellent student. 

Can we talk about how no one who posted for yale put any comments in the comments section? I would be freaking. What's up with these people.

I wasn't one of the posters, but I'd feel weird being like "I'M SO HAPPY" when I know so many people are having a tough time not hearing things. (I don't really have any info beyond what deverettf said.)

Detailed information about Brown:

Generic email telling you to check your status.  This will go for any wait-list or acceptance.

Website, on page that says, "Activity for [insert name]", above the list of received things, there will be a link to view decision letter.  If there's no link, then you're probably not getting in.

Is this the ApplyWeb page? Huh. I'd been assuming that those wouldn't be updated with results, I don't know why. Congrats to the Brown acceptances! 

I wasn't one of the posters, but I'd feel weird being like "I'M SO HAPPY" when I know so many people are having a tough time not hearing things. (I don't really have any info beyond what deverettf said.)

If you are accepted please do, because I want to live vicariously through your joy. 

I am getting so nervous. I've only heard back from one school (out of 7) and I'm not sure whether I should be assuming rejections (I know I probably can for Vanderbilt and UCR) or whether I still have some shot at getting in. I know it's only mid-way through February, but it feels like this process has been dragging on forever. 

Well... Loyola Chicago declined to admit me to the PhD but offered admission to the MA. It's a little bit like kissing your sister, but if all else fails, at least someone is willing to let me keep doing philosophy for a couple of years.

Is this the ApplyWeb page? Huh. I'd been assuming that those wouldn't be updated with results, I don't know why. Congrats to the Brown acceptances! 

Yes, the ApplyWeb page.  A reliable friend gave me a detailed description.  I agree -- it's odd.

I'm very sorry to hear that you feel that way.  I hope and expect you do get in somewhere, because (based on your description) you sound like an excellent student. 

Thanks, IanHendon!  Also, I'm not forgetting that a lot of highly qualified people are in a similar situation.  These people would no doubt be great philosophers.  

Totally rooting for all you people.  You're great.

Well... Loyola Chicago declined to admit me to the PhD but offered admission to the MA. It's a little bit like kissing your sister, but if all else fails, at least someone is willing to let me keep doing philosophy for a couple of years.

How did they notify you? 

I think people should start bombarding departments asking about rejections. That may give them incentive to just go ahead and release them. I'm definitely talking about Berkeley, Duke, UCSD, Riverside, Vanderbilt, Arizona, maybe Chicago, and many others. Surely at least some places will tell inquirers they have been rejected, and then we can safely assume our rejection from those places as well. I think we should use our numbers to actually be in power for once, not helpless lemmings waiting for those ad comms that don't respect us to wait till April just to reject us.

Very nice! Are they giving you funding for it?

I might be eligible for a partial tuition scholarship. I'd say the chances are slim but non-negligible. If it turns out to be my only offer, though, I'm willing to take out loans for an MA. It's only two years.

I think people should start bombarding departments asking about rejections. That may give them incentive to just go ahead and release them. I'm definitely talking about Berkeley, Duke, UCSD, Riverside, Vanderbilt, Arizona, maybe Chicago, and many others. Surely at least some places will tell inquirers they have been rejected, and then we can safely assume our rejection from those places as well. I think we should use our numbers to actually be in power for once, not helpless lemmings waiting for those ad comms that don't respect us to wait till April just to reject us.

Yeah, on the one hand I don't want to push them into rejecting me if they're still considering me for a WL. On the other hand, the silence implies that i have about 7 implied rejections... and that's driving me nuts. I'd rather be told and then I could assess my situation more clearly.

I dont want to create further confusion than what is already present; but there might still be the possibility of hearing good news from UIC.

I had contacted the office today; not regarding the application status, but regarding clarification on some financial document submission (since I am not from US). During this conversation I got to know that the admission process is still going on and its only by March II week, things would be finalized. (Basically I asked whether I need to do this formality considering that I might after all be rejected as the department has already announced offers).

So, similar to UVA, UIC and others might still be doing trickle down selection.

Congrats & Goodluck.

I don't think any bombardment scheme is a good idea. I doubt most admissions committees take time sending out rejections because they fail to respect the applicants they reject. There are probably good procedural reasons (and when there aren't good procedural reasons, there are probably good professional and personal reasons: these people have lives).

I understand how frustrating it can be (I've been through this process four times previously), but I think organizing some kind of campaign would be a bad idea given how little information we have about the admissions process and why it works the way it does.

I don't think any bombardment scheme is a good idea. I doubt most admissions committees take time sending out rejections because they fail to respect the applicants they reject. There are probably good procedural reasons (and when there aren't good procedural reasons, there are probably good professional and personal reasons: these people have lives).

I understand how frustrating it can be (I've been through this process four times previously), but I think organizing some kind of campaign would be a bad idea given how little information we have about the admissions process and why it works the way it does.

I just don't think so. UNC sent out rejections almost immediately, and yet I doubt that their organization is radically different from anyone else's.

Does anyone have any idea about when ND might send out acceptances (and then more rejections)? 

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say first round of acceptances get posted next week between Monday and Wednesday (just based on results from previous years). That's just a guess, though... so take that for what it's worth (read: not very much).

I'm claiming (a dubious honor) a Northwestern rejection. That one was really harsh, since I had corresponded with the DGS about where to send a fourth letter of rec. And then an email to the website. Ugh, sucks.

I'm also going to assume (I think safely) that aside from my official rejection to UNC and NU, and have them waiting for me from Duke, Berkeley, UChicago, UCSD, UVA, Arizona, and now maybe Yale. Batting 1000...

And I have a 4.0 from a top MA program. I can only assume everyone thought my sample sucked.