Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

Person admitted to St. Andrews via postal service... do you mind mentioning where in the world you live? I'm wondering when I could expect that. 

I am a little confused on this too. Generally, notifications for PhD come out via email from the graduate programs administrator, and should not be expected for another couple weeks. If they got a letter only it likely means an unfunded offer to the MLitt/MPhil, I think that may go out via post first and only. 

I'm claiming (a dubious honor) a Northwestern rejection. That one was really harsh, since I had corresponded with the DGS about where to send a fourth letter of rec. And then an email to the website. Ugh, sucks.

I'm also going to assume (I think safely) that aside from my official rejection to UNC and NU, and have them waiting for me from Duke, Berkeley, UChicago, UCSD, UVA, Arizona, and now maybe Yale. Batting 1000...

And I have a 4.0 from a top MA program. I can only assume everyone thought my sample sucked.

Do you still have many applications out? I would not despair this early, there is still plenty of time left in the cycle. 

I might be eligible for a partial tuition scholarship. I'd say the chances are slim but non-negligible. If it turns out to be my only offer, though, I'm willing to take out loans for an MA. It's only two years.

Good, I hope that you do get it (or more preferrably, I hope that you get admitted elsewhere). I have one piece of advice for people considering this route more generally. If you are intending to go to a PhD program after, I would encourage you to ask about their placement record into such programs. An MA can be a really good risk to take (perhaps even worth taking out loans if you have the financial means), but only if they consistently place people into good programs. 

Do you still have many applications out? I would not despair this early, there is still plenty of time left in the cycle. 

I do have a number out, but at very competitive programs: Princeton, Michigan, Pittsburgh, Stanford, UCLA, Cornell, Wisconsin, and UPenn. Since I have total silence from all these other schools with the exception of two rejections, I can't say it looks good. Now I am debating whether to waste another year of my life applying with a different sample, or just giving up.

So, just a warning to all: getting a 4.0 from a top, Leiter-ranked MA doesn't guarantee success in PhD applications.

Good, I hope that you do get it (or more preferrably, I hope that you get admitted elsewhere). I have one piece of advice for people considering this route more generally. If you are intending to go to a PhD program after, I would encourage you to ask about their placement record into such programs. An MA can be a really good risk to take (perhaps even worth taking out loans if you have the financial means), but only if they consistently place people into good programs. 

One of my undergrad professors went through their MA program and he reports that their students do very well at getting into PhD programs. If I get an offer someplace else with some money attached, though, I will surely take it! Still feels nice to have a little bit of affirmation, though.

This seems like a good time to mention that most MAs in Canada are fully funded and fund international students. And many of them have very good placement. Some are even still accepting applications, mine included. (I don't want to out my school here, but if you message me I'll give you some links/information.)

Edited by Hypatience

I just don't think so. UNC sent out rejections almost immediately, and yet I doubt that their organization is radically different from anyone else's.

I'm guessing that UNC has a pretty solid idea of how many students they need to admit + wait list to get their entering class. Other schools may not have that predictive knowledge, because their numbers may be more variable from year to year (one year, all of their first round admits could enter, while in another year, maybe they have to dig deep on their wait list.) 

The schools have until April 15 to notify you. That's two more months! We are still really early in the process. If it's psychologically easier, just assume a rejection and then be pleasantly surprised if you hear otherwise. 

These people are your future colleagues, even if you end up not enrolling at their school. Respect them. You're applying because you want to be one of them, so imagine for a moment what it's like to be in their shoes. You are teaching classes, mentoring students, doing research, writing articles, refereeing articles, reviewing dissertation chapters, editing a book, looking at a colleague's paper, organizing conferences, sitting on a half dozen department and university committees, writing letters of recommendation for your own students (for fellowships and so on), organizing a prospectives visit for the first round--and you have a personal life, perhaps a family, and you need a little downtime, too. It's not like academics are lazy. Most put in 65+ hours a week, and graduate adcom is only a small part of that. Also, that giant snow storm just slowed the whole south and eastern seaboard to a halt. Try getting through all of those aforementioned tasks with no power, and no ability to go into work. 

I really discourage anyone from starting a campaign to bombard departments with emails. That just seems counterproductive.

I'm guessing that UNC has a pretty solid idea of how many students they need to admit + wait list to get their entering class. Other schools may not have that predictive knowledge, because their numbers may be more variable from year to year (one year, all of their first round admits could enter, while in another year, maybe they have to dig deep on their wait list.) 

The schools have until April 15 to notify you. That's two more months! We are still really early in the process. If it's psychologically easier, just assume a rejection and then be pleasantly surprised if you hear otherwise. 

These people are your future colleagues, even if you end up not enrolling at their school. Respect them. You're applying because you want to be one of them, so imagine for a moment what it's like to be in their shoes. You are teaching classes, mentoring students, doing research, writing articles, refereeing articles, reviewing dissertation chapters, editing a book, looking at a colleague's paper, organizing conferences, sitting on a half dozen department and university committees, writing letters of recommendation for your own students (for fellowships and so on), organizing a prospectives visit for the first round--and you have a personal life, perhaps a family, and you need a little downtime, too. It's not like academics are lazy. Most put in 65+ hours a week, and graduate adcom is only a small part of that. Also, that giant snow storm just slowed the whole south and eastern seaboard to a halt. Try getting through all of those aforementioned tasks with no power, and no ability to go into work. 

I really discourage anyone from starting a campaign to bombard departments with emails. That just seems counterproductive.

This guy/girl is completely right! We still have a long time left, those absolutely despairing, pessimism is okay but not total despair! 

Two points raised by these two posts:

An MA can be a really good risk to take (perhaps even worth taking out loans if you have the financial means), but only if they consistently place people into good programs. 

I completely agree that the placement record is absolutely vital.  

I will say this.  There are two stories, either of which is plausible.  The first is this: Good people get into top MA programs.  Top MA programs, in virtue of their being top MA programs, help those good people get into good PhD programs.

The second is this.  MA programs get good people.  The top MA programs get better people (very, very roughly here) than the competing MA programs.  Then, roughly, these better people do better, not because of the magic worked on them in the MA program, but because they started out as better people.  

The MA is not only an opportunity to work with great faculty and peers.  It's an opportunity to spend 18 months perfecting a writing sample.  And that latter piece is maybe what makes the difference for many candidates who, given the proper time, would have been very successful anyway.

I'm saying this.  I'm saying that I think both stories are to some degree true.  I attended a top MA program, and I think the same group of successful students would have been successful at other MA programs.

I really hate to say this aloud, because I love my department.  I got a great education.  My peers were top notch.  And if I could do it again, I'd still pick this program -- even though I paid a lot of money for it and could have been at Georgia State with free money.

So, just a warning to all: getting a 4.0 from a top, Leiter-ranked MA doesn't guarantee success in PhD applications.

Indeed.  Many GREAT people with REALLY GREAT numbers who look AMAZING on paper still fail to be admitted to top programs.  I saw this happen to someone in my department last year.  This person is top notch.  Would have been a really, really great philosopher.  Went to a top-five department for undergrad, too.

Edited by ianfaircloud

Two points raised by these two posts:

I completely agree that the placement record is absolutely vital.  

I will say this.  There are two stories, either of which is plausible.  The first is this: Good people get into top MA programs.  Top MA programs, in virtue of their being top MA programs, help those good people get into good PhD programs.

The second is this.  MA programs get good people.  The top MA programs get better people (very, very roughly here) than the competing MA programs.  Then, roughly, these better people do better, not because of the magic worked on them in the MA program, but because they started out as better people.  

The MA is not only an opportunity to work with great faculty and peers.  It's an opportunity to spend 18 months perfecting a writing sample.  And that latter piece is maybe what makes the difference for many candidates who, given the proper time, would have been very successful anyway.

I'm saying this.  I'm saying that I think both stories are to some degree true.  I attended a top MA program, and I think the same group of successful students would have been successful at other MA programs.

I really hate to say this aloud, because I love my department.  I got a great education.  My peers were top notch.  And if I could do it again, I'd still pick this program -- even though I paid a lot of money for it and could have been at Georgia State with free money.

Indeed.  Many GREAT people with REALLY GREAT numbers who look AMAZING on paper still fail to be admitted to top programs.  I saw this happen to someone in my department last year.  This person is top notch.  Would have been a really, really great philosopher.  Went to a top-five department for undergrad, too.

In my particular case, an MA might help me to shore up what might otherwise seem like deficiencies in my application. My path toward my BA was somewhat untraditional. I started at a community college at the age of 23, studied there for about a year, moved, transferred to another community college, and then transferred to a small (but well reputed) liberal arts university. I did terribly (for the most part) during my time as a community college student. I did well in my introductory philosophy and religious studies courses (my major and minor, respectively), but little else. I transferred to my degree-granting institution with something like a 2.65 GPA. Over two and a half years, however, of study at my four-year institution, I managed a 3.8 GPA and to graduate magna cum laude. Point being, in many cases it won't matter the circumstances that frame my trajectory given that I'm competing against students who have no such deficiencies. I take it that an MA (if no PhD program would have me) offers an opportunity for me to further demonstrate my seriousness as a student. 

Edited by dgswaim

In my particular case, an MA might help me to shore up what might otherwise seem like deficiencies in my application. My path toward my BA was somewhat untraditional. I started at a community college at the age of 23, studied there for about a year, moved, transferred to another community college, and then transferred to a small (but well reputed) liberal arts university. I did terribly (for the most part) during my time as a community college student. I did well in my introductory philosophy and religious studies courses (my major and minor, respectively), but little else. I transferred to my degree-granting institution with something like a 2.65 GPA. Over two and a half years, however, of study at my four-year institution, I managed a 3.8 GPA and to graduate magna cum laude. Point being, in many cases it won't matter the circumstances that frame my trajectory given that I'm competing against students who have no such deficiencies. I take it that an MA (if no PhD program would have me) offers an opportunity for me to further demonstrate my seriousness as a student. 

You're competing against me (well, only for Austin really), and I started at a community college where my grades sucked a bit of dick. I'm graduating Summa Cum Laude from my uni this year. 

You're competing against me (well, only for Austin really), and I started at a community college where my grades sucked a bit of dick. I'm graduating Summa Cum Laude from my uni this year. 

Do your early grades make you as nervous as mine make me? 

I am a little confused on this too. Generally, notifications for PhD come out via email from the graduate programs administrator, and should not be expected for another couple weeks. If they got a letter only it likely means an unfunded offer to the MLitt/MPhil, I think that may go out via post first and only. 

Yeah, I assume it's for the MLitt/MPhil, but that's what I applied to as well, so I'd still be happy to know where that person is located.

totally agree. definitely worth repeating. 

Do your early grades make you as nervous as mine make me? 

Not really. When I was talking with Lawlor at Penn State, he said the reason they only ask for your last three semesters' cum GPA is because they only really care about the grades you received in your upper-level philosophy courses, which makes a lot of sense to me. From the perspective of an adcomm, what is going to tell you more about a candidate, that they got a B or C in their intro class, or that they have an express interest in Nietzsche and got an A in their graduate-level Nietzsche class (in my case)? The latter, it seems to me, though I could be wrong. I've just gone into it assuming that Penn State's adcomm has a similar attitude to other departments in terms of grades.

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

Not really. When I was talking with Lawlor at Penn State, he said the reason they only ask for your last three semesters' cum GPA is because they only really care about the grades you received in your upper-level philosophy courses, which makes a lot of sense to me. From the perspective of an adcomm, what is going to tell you more about a candidate, that they got a B or C in their intro class, or that they have an express interest in Nietzsche and got an A in their graduate-level Nietzsche class (in my case)? The latter, it seems to me, though I could be wrong. I've just gone into it assuming that Penn State's adcomm has a similar attitude to other departments in terms of grades.

I've heard the same sort of thing, but I'm of the understanding that it can also vary from department to department. So I don't know. I wish I'd just done better in those first few semesters, really. At the time I didn't know that I wanted to go to grad school in philosophy, and so frankly I didn't give two shits about college algebra, U.S. government, etc. etc. Oh well. 

I think bsg's perspective is the way that most adcoms see it. I farted around at community college for two years (and when I say farted, I mean got somewhere around a C average), and most of my advisors (both at my MA program and undergrad) said that was far less important than other considerations (grades in upper-level courses, quality of writing sample, GRE scores, quality of letters, etc.). 

I want to make sure that I've been clear.  Getting an MA is often VERY helpful.  MA programs are REALLY important.  I'm a zealous defender of the MA programs.

What I want to say is that sometimes it's maybe less important *where* one earns the MA.

(Note to anyone reading this: please read my full post above to get the proper context here.)

I'll claim the Olin Fellowship phone call, from WashU. She couldn't say whether the department had admitted me or not, but that the department will be sending out their notices "soon". I'll be traveling to campus on Monday, March 3 for the finalists' interview. Exciting news!

I'll claim the Olin Fellowship phone call, from Wash U. She couldn't say whether the department had admitted me or not, but that the department will be sending out their notices "soon". I'll be traveling to campus on Monday, March 3 for the finalists' interview. Exciting news!

"Soon"?! I want to know NOW!

Did you apply to philosophy or PNP?

Edited by Dylanhelloglue

On 2/14/2014 at 2:40 PM, alethicethic said:

I'll claim the Olin Fellowship phone call, from WashU. She couldn't say whether the department had admitted me or not, but that the department will be sending out their notices "soon". I'll be traveling to campus on Monday, March 3 for the finalists' interview. Exciting news!

I reached my positive quota for the day, but congrats! That is a very prestigious award, and I imagine that is also a very good signal for your application status in the department. I live in St. Louis and have met many of the WashU faculty - it is an outstanding program. I am sure you will have plenty of people to show you around, but if you do come want an additional perspective on St. Louis, I'd be happy to meet up. 

I reached my positive quota for the day, but congrats! That is a very prestigious award, and I imagine that is also a very good signal for your application status in the department. I live in St. Louis and have met many of the Wash U faculty - it is an outstanding program. I am sure you will have plenty of people to show you around, but if you do come want an additional perspective on St. Louis, I'd be happy to meet up. 

Don't worry MattDest, I've got your back. I upvoted for you. 

I'm claiming (a dubious honor) a Northwestern rejection. That one was really harsh, since I had corresponded with the DGS about where to send a fourth letter of rec. And then an email to the website. Ugh, sucks.

I'm also going to assume (I think safely) that aside from my official rejection to UNC and NU, and have them waiting for me from Duke, Berkeley, UChicago, UCSD, UVA, Arizona, and now maybe Yale. Batting 1000...

And I have a 4.0 from a top MA program. I can only assume everyone thought my sample sucked.

Im so sorry about the rejection from Northwestern. When did you recieve the notification?