Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

The feeling is mutual. The silence is absolutely deafening. 

I'm with both of you! Especially with the additional silence from Loyola. Oh, and I just got a huge envelope in the mail from Loyola today... It was an informational packet about the school and graduate program. WTF!

Quit plucking my heartstrings! 

You're killing it. Are you from an MA or a top 10 undergrad program?

Thank you! The streak is likely to end soon. Most programs have yet to go out, and I've gotten into programs that are REALLY strong fits.

Yep, I did an MA. I never applied to a bunch of places the first time around; I only applied to my current program. So this is my first time in the doctoral round of admissions, although I've watched a few friends go through the process before.

For what it's worth, I do think that it made me a stronger applicant. I look back on where I was a couple of years ago, and where I am now, and I am really glad that I did the MA. I mean, a few years of reading and writing and teaching and breathing philosophy will do that to you. I also love my program, not least because I've made friends with some real philosophy geeks who are going on in the field, so that's pretty awesome too. Quite a few of them also read and commented on my writing sample (and I did the same for them.) And, I had a chance to professionalize a bit, like present papers and such. But after the post on Leiter, who knows how the admissions committees view it?

Note that one of my AOI is quite unusual (Chinese philosophy). Every single admissions person has said that competition is especially fierce this year (which gels with that Leiter post) but I think that, for schools that do Chinese philosophy, I'm probably competing against a much smaller pool of applicants. Whereas, if I only did epistemology (which is also one of my AOI, and the area of my sample), I would be competing against nearly everyone. I think that's probably a major part of why I got in to Duke and Riverside, but who knows? Just speculation.

I'm with both of you! Especially with the additional silence from Loyola. Oh, and I just got a huge envelope in the mail from Loyola today... It was an informational packet about the school and graduate program. WTF!

Quit plucking my heartstrings! 

It happened to you too?! God that shit is annoying. Maybe they sent it to all of us.

Haha, something similar happened to me with Utah. They put me on some sort of an email list to promote the school. I received an email the other day saying, "It's not too late to apply to the U!"

I nearly had a heart attack. I double-checked my application to calm down. Once I read through the email, I realized it was a mass promotional email aimed at undergrads. Whew.

Holy shit guys, I just got into Rochester! Phone call from the grad admissions director, fully funded for five yrs, up for a fellowship, and they'd pay me to visit. Going to go cry tears of joy now, excuse me.

Congratulations!

Holy shit guys, I just got into Rochester! Phone call from the grad admissions director, fully funded for five yrs, up for a fellowship, and they'd pay me to visit. Going to go cry tears of joy now, excuse me.

Congrats!!! 

Alethicethic is a paragon of acceptitude it seems. Something in his/her application is the secret, and I wonder what it is...

Protip: It's not teaching, I've done three semesters as faculty between my last round of applications and this one, and so far all it seems to have done is moved me from the bottom of Missouri's acceptances to the top. 

I was the one with the phone call from Arizona. Not much info other than funding, etc.

Congrats! Do you know if they are calling any more today? Looks like the first two schools of mine are releasing stuff today, but no word yet. And I was hoping for a a stress-less Saturday... :(

Congrats! Do you know if they are calling any more today? Looks like the first two schools of mine are releasing stuff today, but no word yet. And I was hoping for a a stress-less Saturday... :(

Unfortunately, I have no clue if they are calling more or not. Sorry.

I've gotten several wrong number calls this week but each time the unknown number freaked me out.

Yeah, I've had this happen also. The thing is, I NEVER get out of state calls. Of course, now that I'm waiting anxiously for them, I keep getting wrong numbers or solicitations all with out of state numbers.

I've gotten several wrong number calls this week but each time the unknown number freaked me out.

Seriously. My job from last summer picked this week to send me my last paycheck and my W2's. Two e-mails from my school saying, "You have personal mail" almost sent me in anaphylactic shock - only to disappoint.