Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

As was I. Does anyone know anything about it? I take it it's not funded? And it's interdisciplinary, not just philosophy, so....ya.

I was accepted to the MAPH as well. They fund a few people, but the vast majority are unfunded. There will be a link at the bottom of the official letter that will let you know if they are funding you. 

I was accepted to the MAPH as well. They fund a few people, but the vast majority are unfunded. There will be a link at the bottom of the official letter that will let you know if they are funding you. 

Didn't see it. I wasn't offered funding. You?

Did anyone submit a writing sample in moral psychology?  

Yes, but only to UCR--I submitted a differnet paper elsewhere (I thought the stuff was too specific). Seeing as I've been admitted only to Riverside, I am regretting my decision just a bit (I'm thrilled with UCR, but I would love a choice).

Why haven't more people posted CUNY acceptances on the acceptance page? There were only two. Surely a lot more than that got in.

Maybe they don't come to TGC? Or they're really slow at admitting people? Although there's 4 acceptances up now...

Why haven't more people posted CUNY acceptances on the acceptance page? There were only two. Surely a lot more than that got in.

My feeling is that the CUNY acceptances posted today were only the applicants that were nominated for the fellowship (they both mentioned that they were "waitlisted for fellowship"). Fellowships in philosophy are typically a "special" funding package that involves not teaching for one or more years. Surely not every person they accept will be "waitlisted for fellowship" so I'm guessing there are more acceptances to come.

At least, that's what I hope.

EDIT: Eh maybe they're all out. IDK.

Edited by TheVineyard

Some schools have gendered wait lists, to ensure good representation in the incoming cohort. Maybe they have reason to believe that this is the case at CUNY?

Do they really? Wow I had no idea. That seems like a good practice. 

My feeling is that the CUNY acceptances posted today were only the applicants that were nominated for the fellowship (they both mentioned that they were "waitlisted for fellowship"). Fellowships in philosophy are typically a "special" funding package that involves not teaching for one or more years. Surely not every person they accept will be "waitlisted for fellowship" so I'm guessing there are more acceptances to come.

....and do you believe we'll probably have to wait until at least Monday to find out? I took the liberty of e-mailing a few people in the department to find out what the heck is going on. I figure (a) if I'm rejected, bothering people won't make a bit of difference at this point, and (B) if I'm accepted, it's probably too late for them to un-accept me. I seriously doubt they would wait list me, probably just reject or accept, so that wasn't much of a worry. If *anybody* gets back to my e-mails tomorrow, I'll be sure to post.

Sorry to quote 2x...maybe so about the fellowship but CUNY has enough funding for 10 applicants. Is it possible that other people are getting in and getting funding, just not this *special* fellowship?

Do they really? Wow I had no idea. That seems like a good practice. 

I remember seeing a claim on a WGI thread last year to that effect, though I have no further (read: serious) basis for believing so.

But I agree it is a good practice.

Edited by perpetualapplicant

Sorry to quote 2x...maybe so about the fellowship but CUNY has enough funding for 10 applicants. Is it possible that other people are getting in and getting funding, just not this *special* fellowship?

That's what I would expect. MOST schools offer a couple fellowships and the rest teaching/research assistantships. CUNY might be different, idk. But my expectation is that people will get accepted with assistantships.

Well... today was pretty boring.

Well, every day will be boring until we get what we want... that's how I feel anyway... start writing another paper for publication, on a topic just for yourself, it takes the edge off.

That's what I would expect. MOST schools offer a couple fellowships and the rest teaching/research assistantships. CUNY might be different, idk. But my expectation is that people will get accepted with assistantships.

FYI it looks like only one of the acceptances at CUNY reported being waitlisted for fellowships. The others either said nothing, or just commented on the e-mail from Carol Gould.

NYU tomorrow, folks! Good luck to everyone, especially those with Arizona offers or wait lists! :)

I feel like you just high-fived yourself  ^_^  :)

I feel like you just high-fived yourself  ^_^  :)

Hahaha I see your point! Damn referential opacity in intentional contexts! I meant to say: good luck especially to everyone *else* with Arizona wait lists or offers (since their getting an NYU offer increases my chances of getting in off the AZ wait list). Oy...