Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

Has any applicant to The New School around here checked their newschool.edu account? A lot of posters in the result section are finding an accepted student tab upon logging into that account, although their admission hub pages remain unchanged. 

I haven't seen the tab, but at my hub it says my decision is posted. But when I follow the link and log in to my application, there is no decision listed.

EDIT: The accepted students tab appears without me logging into anything. I think it's just a general part of the website, like for instance a "Prospective Students" tab would be, that took you to a page telling you what to do if you were a prospective student.

Edited by Monadology

So apart from the hub, there's this other portal : https://my.newschool.edu/cp/home/displaylogin. You have to put your NETID and retrieve your username, then set a new password to access your account. This is where people are finding their acceptances posted along with a congratulatory note. I am able to access it too, but it just says "No announcements have been made". 

Also, at my hub it still only says that my application materials have been received and that it's pending review. Did you complete their application super early?

So, do you guys think that Michigan is finished sending out offers? It's hard to tell becuase of how slowly they've been trickling in. I haven't seen any waitlist posts...anyone know if they normally have one?

Past years results show that they do keep a waitlist. 

So apart from the hub, there's this other portal : https://my.newschool.edu/cp/home/displaylogin. You have to put your NETID and retrieve your username, then set a new password to access your account. This is where people are finding their acceptances posted along with a congratulatory note. I am able to access it too, but it just says "No announcements have been made". 

Also, at my hub it still only says that my application materials have been received and that it's pending review. Did you complete their application super early?

At my hub it says a decision has been made, though when I log in to where it tells me to there is no decision posted.

When I logged into the link you provided above, I did get a congratulatory note (though when I click the "Check your Financial Aid Status" link I get an error message).

I have no idea what's going on. Late last night, before I went to bed (and before your second post) I emailed them about the fact that my hub said there was a decision, but I couldn't find any decision. Hopefully the answer will clarify things.

Edited by Monadology

At my hub it says a decision has been made, though when I log in to where it tells me to there is no decision posted.

When I logged into the link you provided above, I did get a congratulatory not (though when I click the "Check your Financial Aid Status" link I get an error message).

I have no idea what's going on. Late last night, before I went to bed (and before your second post) I emailed them about the fact that my hub said there was a decision, but I couldn't find any decision. Hopefully the answer will clarify things.

New School: The Kafka of acceptance notifications.

Long-time lurker here. I got accepted at New School! The acceptance is not hidden, it should be visible right under "Message center" in the middle of the page as soon as you log in to the admissions hub.

It isn't visible there, I'm afraid. So either I've been rejected, and it's somehow hidden, and the congratulatory note is a mistake or I've been accepted and it's still hidden (and the congratulatory note isn't a mistake).

I just see the Student Voices column right underneath the message centre nor have I received any congratulatory note at newschool.edu. This could mean a rejection or possibly that my application hasn't undergone review yet!

I was just accepted to New School's MA program with a 30% tuition scholarship. 

EDIT: I found out by checking my application again, to find that the decision had been posted.

Is it normal to admit a student with an MA to study toward an MA? Would they maybe be admitting you to the MA with the expectation that you'd be continuing on to get a PhD in their department? Seems odd and confusing to me.

The New School doesn't accept applicants straight into the PhD program, only the MA. Then, once you have gone through their MA, you are eligible to apply for the PhD. At least, this is my understanding of their process.

Not quite true. A classmate from my class got into their PhD program directly this season, but she said they told her she was the only one from outside their MA program that they admitted (I'm not sure if that means ever or just this season).

I got a bit confused about their system, and given the requirements for their PhD students (competency in two languages, for instance) and what I'd heard about them only accepting their own MA students, I applied for the MA program.

Edited by Monadology

I was just accepted to New School's MA program with a 30% tuition scholarship. 

EDIT: I found out by checking my application again, to find that the decision had been posted.

I got the same scholarship. Here's to hoping for work study, since 2 years at New School is $22,000 + living expenses.

Edited by revolutions

I got the same scholarship. Here's to hoping for work study, since 2 years at New School is $22,000 + living expenses.

Yeah, I wasn't really sure how the funding stuff worked with New School when I applied (I wish I had thought to check Gradcafe to see if anyone described their offers). I'm pretty sure I'd take Riverside's offer over New School's, mostly because I can't seem to find any info about their PhD's placement record and the more complicated funding situation.

Congratulations Monadology and revolutions! Hope they post my decision soon too.

Thanks! I hope they do, and good luck with it!

Edited by Monadology

Not quite true. A classmate from my class got into their PhD program directly this season, but she said they told her she was the only one from outside their MA program that they admitted (I'm not sure if that means ever or just this season).

I got a bit confused about their system, and given the requirements for their PhD students (competency in two languages, for instance) and what I'd heard about them only accepting their own MA students, I applied for the MA program.

Well, congrats!

Yeah, I wasn't really sure how the funding stuff worked with New School when I applied (I wish I had thought to check Gradcafe to see if anyone described their offers). I'm pretty sure I'd take Riverside's offer over New School's, mostly because I can't seem to find any info about their PhD's placement record and the more complicated funding situation.

Thanks! I hope they do, and good luck with it!

Riverside is a great department. If I end up getting my MA this time around, I'll probably apply to their PhD next time around. There are worse places to live, too. I grew up in Riverside, actually.

University Of Michigan, Ann Arbor Philosophy, PhD (F14) Accepted via Phone on 13 Mar 2014 A 13 Mar 2014

• report spam
  • Missed the call yesterday and got one today. I've now heard from everyone. Final results are 6a/1w/4r. Good luck to everyone making decisions!

Congrats to this person with the latest Michigan offer! Can anyone claim it? 

Riverside is a great department. If I end up getting my MA this time around, I'll probably apply to their PhD next time around. There are worse places to live, too. I grew up in Riverside, actually.

I wish you the best of luck if that's your route, and if I end up there and you get an offer be sure to get in touch.

EDIT: Congrats to the Michigan offer(s)! I know a few people who would like to end up there.

Edited by Monadology

New School hopefuls,

How much credibility is there to all the stories about New School never offering admits full funding packages, students taking 8+ years to finish, etc..? I've heard all these rumors before, just want to know how true any of them are. Are all there PhD. students fully-funded? Or is it the kind of place people pay some for a PhD. in the hopes that the 'New School' name will land them a sweet gig (and a well paid one) when all is said and done? 

Edited by objectivityofcontradiction

Congrats to those who received acceptences today. 

Can anyone comment on the funding package from Carleton University?  23k for MA students is great!

from what I have heard over the past couple years, it is standard practice for Canadian Unis to have very generous MA stipends.