Do we foot the bill for campus visits?

This is something I probably should already know the answer to... but I am clueless as to how these work. I assume if you are accepted and offered a visit that that does not in turn mean that the school will pay for you to come out. Then again, if you are a strong candidate and perhaps some one that dept. X desperately want among their incoming grad class, maybe they'll pay for your flight or at least set you up with a free place to stay? 

Any one know how this works?? 

(Ha, look at me all optimistic thinking there is a chance I'll even get in anywhere... let alone get offered a visit)

Edited by objectivityofcontradiction

It depends on the school. Many offer to pay up to "x" amount of $. Some will pay gas based on your mileage (if you're within driving distance).

Sorry, I know this doesn't help much!

Good question. Fortunately, like all things application-related, the answer is: it depends.

Last year, I was accepted into five programs. Two of them offered full funding for visits. One couldn't offer funding, but set me up with a grad student for housing. The other two programs simply didn't have the money to fly folks out or even host a specific visit weekend, though they did offer to "wine and dine me" if I came out. And shockingly, those two programs are some of the most well-known, well-regarded programs in my field. 

I ended up only visiting two schools. I just didn't have the money or time to visit all five, especially because I was flying out of a small airport in California. Fortunately, I knew right away that the first school I visited was the place for me, and I am very happy with the decision I made.

Another thing to consider is that most schools fund visits through a reimbursement system, meaning that I still had to purchase the airplane tickets, then wait a few months for a check from the school. So, even if funding is offered, you will still most likely need some cash at hand to make the reservations.

Also, two of the schools that did not offer funding did not make that clear initially. I had to ask outright, which kinda sucked. So, if the letter/voicemail/email doesn't clearly state that they are funding your visit, assume that they won't, but still ask. 

Good question. Fortunately, like all things application-related, the answer is: it depends.

Last year, I was accepted into five programs. Two of them offered full funding for visits. One couldn't offer funding, but set me up with a grad student for housing. The other two programs simply didn't have the money to fly folks out or even host a specific visit weekend, though they did offer to "wine and dine me" if I came out. And shockingly, those two programs are some of the most well-known, well-regarded programs in my field. 

I ended up only visiting two schools. I just didn't have the money or time to visit all five, especially because I was flying out of a small airport in California. Fortunately, I knew right away that the first school I visited was the place for me, and I am very happy with the decision I made.

Another thing to consider is that most schools fund visits through a reimbursement system, meaning that I still had to purchase the airplane tickets, then wait a few months for a check from the school. So, even if funding is offered, you will still most likely need some cash at hand to make the reservations.

Also, two of the schools that did not offer funding did not make that clear initially. I had to ask outright, which kinda sucked. So, if the letter/voicemail/email doesn't clearly state that they are funding your visit, assume that they won't, but still ask. 

This is good to know.  I was naive enough to assume that most programs paid for visits. 

proflorax makes a good point about how the payment may actually work, via reimbursement.

My understanding is that the higher ranked the program, the more likely it is that you'll be flown out there. If I remember correctly Columbia, Brown, UCR do... as well as others that I don't remember of off hand. Oddly enough though, one of my PhD acceptances which was borderline low ranked/unranked on the PGR offered a funded visit.

Generally speaking for philosophy, I think it's something one should expect.